Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tough one! Vista internet connection issue?

Ok, I have 3 computers, 1 laptop running XP. This connects to the internet just fine through a DLink 802.11G router. 1 Desktop running XP. Hard wired to the router, no problems on this one either. The third one is a desktop running Vista Home Premium. It is also hard wired to the network. It worked fine until last week when a storm came through and knocked down my cable modem. I got it rebooted and the router. The other 2 computers work, but Vista won't open websites.

It connects to the router and internet, I can ping my other computers, even Google. But when I try to open a website (any website) it hangs forever, seemingly downloading the page, then finally says 'page cannot be displayed'.

I've tried repairing the ip configuration, no luck. I've disabled all security software (even had to uninstall PC-Cillin), but nothing makes it work. It's not an IE issue because FireFox doesn't work and Windows Update can't even connect.

What's happening? could something in Vista suddenly start blocking incoming traffic? PLEASE HELP!

Thought I better add a couple things. Vista does show connection as Local & Internet, and I've tested the CAT5 cable with my XP machine and works fine.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are probably having an issue with Vista stuck in "Local Only."
    Many people with Vista are having this problem, including myself.
    What you can do is go into Device Manager by going to My Computer, then Clicking on System Properties near the top of the window, then click on Device Manager on the left hand side.
    Once you are there, find your Network Adapter and disable it. Wait about 30 seconds and enable it again.
    That should fix it.
    If not, look at your Power Settings and increase the power output for your computer, specifically your Network device.
    Hope this helps.