Support New Orleans residents return to New Orleans?

FormerRepublican

Aug 29, 2008
I generally think we ought to support folks who face a natural disaster, but the fact that parts of New Orleans are being repopulated after being flooded in Katrina is crazy. In my view we should give residents a choice:

1. We will assist them in relocating to a safe area of the country. We will give them the equivelant of whatever benefits they would have gotten as flooded residents (including flood insurance payout) plus assistance in relocating.

OR

2. We will pay existing flood insurance and other qualified benefit on the New Orleans property and allow them to rebuild with the understanding that they will no longer qualify for flood insurance and they will never again be given any benefit if they are flooded out again.

These folks are building in a bowl that is several feet beneath sea level and have been told that another disaster is just a matter of time. Ok. Taxpayers picked up the tab for their stupidity once. Anyone want to foot the bill again?

Not one dollar of Federal money went to San Francisco when it experienced the great earthquake of...was it 1906.

I am so sick of New Orleans and the whine, whine, whine, gimme, gimme, gimme.

This also proves the wisdom of throwing billions of dollars to rebuild a city below sea level. Jeez.

Not one dollar of Federal money went to San Francisco when it experienced the great earthquake of...was it 1906.

I am so sick of New Orleans and the whine, whine, whine, gimme, gimme, gimme.

This also proves the wisdom of throwing billions of dollars to rebuild a city below sea level. Jeez.

Back