When did start to be used in politics the terms " Mexican-Americans", "...

E

El Oso Gris

When did start to be used in politics the terms " Mexican-Americans", "...

...Hispanic" and " Latino" ? I know that before 1968.... everything in America was Black and White only.
So..............
before 1968 or a closer year... all Mexicans were considered Whites in White America.

Cubans, Haitians, Dominicans, Peruvians, were considered Black even if they were Spanish speaking Immigrants.

It's a form of politeness. Many of us call other groups by the name that they choose for themselves. I guess we're just very respectful.

Hispanic goes back to ancient times, from latin "Hispanus", which referred to the Iberian peninsula. Hispanus is also the latin root that led to the name Spain. Latino is a term used in the U.S., that refers to anyone from Latin America, Spanish being a language rooted in Latin.

Now you have me wondering... is a person who speaks Italian or French also Latino? Portuguese is Latin based, too. Rhetorical question, I know that Italians and French are not... just making a point.

I don't know that paticularly. I bet Daniel F. Would if he shows up tonight.

I do know that "hispanic" became unpopular because they did not want to be associated with the Spaniards that raped and pillaged the Native Indian people living there. It became Hispanic after that.

Back