A bunch of little things seem to be hitting today about the PS3's next big thing, Heavenly Sword. While I remain cautiously optimistic, Ninja Theory is unrelentlessly giddy about the upcoming game, talking it up on two continents using the SCEE-shell blog ThreeSpeech official Playstation blog and their very own Heavenly Sword blog over on IGN.
The Playstation blog entry is a 13 question Q&A about the game and the upcoming E3. In it Ninja Theory co-founder Nina Kristensen talks up the game's storyline and distinctly artistic approach to over-the-top sword combat. A selection:
4. What do you think is the coolest aspect of this game?The super-style moves are the coolest. They're big and dramatic, you have to work quite hard to get them (especially the level 3 ones) and they completely annihilate the enemy. It's just so much fun. My personal fav is the one where you drag a guy massively up into the air, ride him back down, slam him into the floor, and while you're cart wheeling off him, a huge shockwave from his impact with the floor wipes out everyone else. 5. Describe it in five words or less.
Big Sword, Hot Girl!!
The IGN Heavenly Sword blog talks a bit more about play mechanics, in particular they break down and explain the different stances you can use in the game:
In play, your main weapon is the Heavenly Sword itself. It comes in three stances which you can switch between on the fly to create your own combos and fighting style. Speed Stance has the sword split into two blades. It's fast, technical and has a lot of depth to it. It's good in one-on-one fights against skillful opponents but deeper combos hold the key to unlocking defenses and delivering massive damage.
Power Stance has the sword blades join to form one huge powerful sword. It's slow and powerful and great against tougher enemies or to break enemy defences.
Range Stance has the sword's blades extend from its handles with chains. It's the weakest of the three stances but it covers a large and wide area. It's great for taking out lots of enemies or knocking them into the air for follow-on aerial combos. It can also be used to sweep debris at enemies.
My indifference and concern over the game's progress is steadily decaying. I just hope they deliver at E3.

</img>

More...