Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do I crave raw green bell peppers to eat?

I have been eating raw green bell peppers by the case for almost a year. I clean them, cut them up up, and eat them with no-salt. I hate them cooked or frozen. I know My body is craving something.

I have given up buying them at the grocery for $.88 each and buy them from a wholesale warehouse for fruit and produce. I buy 20 #'s and they will last me 7-10 days. I need someone to tell me what is in them that my body is craving or am I just plain crazy?? Thanks for your input. J

Unregistered
    Likewise. In fact, to me raw green bells taste sweet and even a little buttery. They go really well with lowfat cottage cheese. It was driving me nuts how much I liked them so I googled "love raw green bell peppers why" and found your question. But I don't have an answer.

Unregistered
    i vote for "just plain crazy"

Unregistered
    I have the same crazy craving too! Red and yellow bell peppers are my favorite, but I eat the green ones too!

Unregistered
    im eating a raw green bell pepper now.
    Just be thankful you found such a healthy food to be obsessed with

Unregistered
    i have the same problem with red bell peppers, i thought i was crazy so i googled it...least we are not alone!

BrookElizabeth
    I googled it to make sure I wasn't the only 'crazy one' thank god I'm not haha. I crave red and yellow ones, but I love the greens ones too! I love them with ranch. But I have no clue why!

Starving for Bell Peppers

Bell Pepper Monster

LOL I had seen some shows on some people DNA affecting how much nutrition they get from different foods. Some foods we can use better. I have been shoveling bell peppers since I was a kid. This morning I was eating two red peppers while making breakfast for the family and it hit me. I wonder if my body needs something in the peppers? Looks like we are all a bit lost on this one. I am glad I am not the only one. The sweet tang nom nom nom.

Unregistered
    Ha Ha, I am a nurse with over 30 years experience and have recently started a sweet bell pepper addiction. Orange, red, yellow, then green. I gave up even trying to slice them. Now I just cut a small circle from the bottom, a thin ring from the top, pull out the seeds and eat like an apple. I think it may be related to a vitamin C deficiency, but I am still checking it out. So glad I found this site. I figure as long as I wash the peppers well with a vinegar spray I am eating a healthy snack. Enjoy the sweet, cool crunch of a pepper.

Unregistered
    I want to add something to my post above.
    First, if you have a history of blood clots or are taking Coumadin (Warfarin) check with your doctor, peppers are high in Vit. K.

From Wikipedia:
    - Dietary fiber 1.7 g
    Vitamin A equiv. 18 μg (2%)
    - beta-carotene208 μg (2%)
    - lutein and zeaxanthin341 μg
    Thiamine (vit. B1) 0.057 mg (5%)
    Riboflavin (vit. B2) 0.028 mg (2%)
    Niacin (vit. B3) 0.48 mg (3%)
    Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.099 mg (2%)
    Vitamin B6 0.224 mg (17%)
    Folate (vit. B9) 10 μg (3%)
    Vitamin C 80.4 mg (97%)
    Vitamin E 0.37 mg (2%)
    Vitamin K 7.4 μg (7%)
    Calcium 10 mg (1%)
    Iron 0.34 mg (3%)
    Magnesium 10 mg (3%)
    Manganese 0.122 mg (6%)
    Phosphorus 20 mg (3%)
    Potassium 175 mg (4%)
    Sodium 3 mg (0%)
    Zinc 0.13 mg (1%)
    Fluoride 2 µg

Compared to green peppers, red peppers have more vitamins and nutrients and contain the antioxidant lycopene. The level of carotene, like lycopene, is nine times higher in red peppers. Red peppers have twice the vitamin C content of green peppers.[6] Also, one large red bell pepper contains 209 mg of vitamin C, which is three times the 70 mg of an average orange.

Red and green bell peppers are high in para-coumaric acid.

The characteristic aroma of green peppers is caused by 3-isoButyl-2-methoxypyrazine (IBMP). Its detection threshold in water is estimated to be 2 ng/L.[7] The same chemical is responsible for characteristic Cabernet Sauvignon green note.