Is it more fuel efficient to pull a water skiier with a jet skii or a small boat?

RobertoOe

Jul 27, 2008
I'd like to start waterskiing but have heard it is expensive gas wise ($20/hr by some estimates). Assuming I had either (A) the minimum jet ski or (B) the minimum small boat necessary to pull a waterskiier, which would be more fuel efficient? I assume that I would have to have the spotter with me in both cases, and would only be doing basic waterskiing -- no tricks. I have read that the jet ski engines are more fuel efficient at 20+ mph, and that the boat propeller engines are more efficient at speeds less than 20mph. From what I gather, basic waterskiing requires speeds in the 15-25mph range, just in the middle! Also, what effects would stroke-count and diesel/unleaded have on fuel efficiency? Thanks!

If your just starting, I would be looking at boat costs before i looked at mpg. I've been skiing for about a year now, only in the summer and only three-four times a week. But a five minute long run is still extremely long for me. You get tired fast. So if i were you i would look for a cheaper, more powerful boat. More power=less time to get out of the water=easier. So even if you manage two five minute runs, your looking at like $3.33 for the day. And If your out on the water for an hour, the majority of that time will be spent drifting, unless your really hardcore. So i would get a cheaper, more powerful boat, as opposed to one with better mpg. Also, you need to consider what type of propulsion you want, propeller or jet, and what kind of wake you want, smooth or choppy, because that depends on how deep the hull is.

Back