Nissan Altima 2000 GLE making a funny noise.?

BKEsouthpaw

Jul 21, 2008
Every morning when I start my car it makes a silent humming noise (and not in a good way). Not always if its really warm outside but always if its cold. It gets louder when i back up and sometimes makes even a clicking noise. I think it may be coming from the axle but can't really tell. Once I have driven a little while the noise stops. Could it be the axle boots or CV Joints? Anys suggestions?
I will definitely throw my head under the hood and try to locate the noise. One thing to note is that when I decide to back up and turn the wheel the noise goes from a low hum to a loud whining. It only makes the louder noise when turning the wheel which me feel it has to something with axle. I really don't understand why it would matter if its warm or not but its usually louder I think when its colder outside. Which is definitely weird. Thanks for any suggestions you give me.

Sounds like automatic transmission noise or a CV Joint that needs greasing. I would first check the fluid level in the transmission and then check the CV Joint Boots. When they get old they can split and loose all the grease. There should be four joints with four boots.

Not sure what a "silent" humming noise is but, if it makes noise when the car is stationary and not in gear the problem is not with the axles. start the thing and stick your head under the hood and try to locate the general area where the noise is coming from. It may be the alternator, power steering pump (although that noise will change when you turn the steering wheel) or perhaps the water pump. If the noise stops when the engine is warm, suspect the air pump. BTW, have you checked all your fluids??

sometimes an axle will act like that but it shouldn't go away that fast ,usually an axle will do it all the time,they wont get any better,try having a shop listen to it and see what they say about it,good luck.

Back