30-day notice? Moving mid-month???? ADVICE !!!!?

MichelleS

May 24, 2008
I gave notice on the 15th of June to move on the 15th of July. I have been month-to-month since my lease expired in Feb. I figured out that in my lease it states that I have to pay for the entire month of July as my notice is effective on the 1st day of the month. I'd never heard of that before but apparantly its common.

My problem is that I signed a new lease to begin the 15th of July. The overlap will cost me $700. When I spoke to my landlord to give him my verbal notice he said that he was going to check the terms of my lease & get back to me. He has always been slack in returning my calls & is very busy with many rentals. My guess is he won't call back.

Should I just play dumb & assume that since he didn't call there is no problem & plan on a July 15 move? Maybe send him a check for the pro-rated amount for July as well as a letter that reiterates our phone conversation with a mid-July move & hope he just lets it go? Or should I call him again? Any advice would help!!!!!!

I would think you should pay him the prorated amount, since you gave thirty days notice. Do you have a copy of your lease? You might want to go through it yourself and look; that way you could disagree with you landlord if he states you have to pay the full amount.

Back