Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Darryl

Is my dog trying to bite her puppies?!?!?

My chihuahua just had puppies yesterday and today she is picking them up with her mouth i am worried about them

maggiecme
    If she's picking them up by the "scruff" of the neck, top back fleshy area, then it's very normal. If however she's gnawing on the leg then there could be a problem and you should check with a vet.

PawPrintz
    She isn't comfortable where you have her and the pups. Make her a quiet place where she can be alone with the pups. She might kill them if you keep her where she isn't feeling good about the situation.

Mary Lou
    No she is not trying to bite them. She is trying to move them to a place where she feels comfortable. She needs to be in a place that is quiet, away from the everyday comings and goings of your household. In a dark place, they are naturally den animals, so try to make her a box in a place where everyone doesn't walk past. If you have kids, keep them away! When my female has her pups, I put her in a room in my house that we don't use much, but is close to me, if I hear that help is needed in there. I make sure it's dark and quiet. No running and yelling kids! It sounds like her first litter too, so she is excited. Just try to calm her, keep it dark and quiet and I bet she will be just fine in a day or so.

Good luck.

Alyssa
    That's how she moves them around and keeps track of them. Leave her alone, she knows what she's doing.

Heather S
    It's just the way she carries them around, since they can't walk, being new babies. All dogs and cats do it, even the big ones.

monkey_ears00
    that's natural nothing to worry about

cameron c
    NO! just like a mama picks up her baby, dogs pick up their young with their mouths because they have no hands! its natural! you have nothing to worry about! your chihuahua knows more about her young ones than you ever will!
    GOOD LUCK!

#1cowgirl
    shes just picking them up every mum does that to the pup

silvervan83
    they don't have hands so they have to move the puppies with thier mouth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast