Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dog Breed Experts, PLEASE Answer This Question?

I don't live in an area conducive to heavy excercise of a dog, and my place is small enough that "medium" is the largest size I can go.

So I researched low to moderate excercise breeds no bigger than medium in size, and the one that led my search was the Bassett Hound.

However, I live alone, and I read that the Basset Hound is #1- one of the hardest breeds to housebreak, and #2- suffers horribly from separation anxiety.

What breed of dog, that is low to moderate in excercise requirements, and no bigger than medium in size, is FAIRLY EASY TO HOUSEBREAK, and not too bad in terms of separation anxiety?

Downloads
    Uploads
    what about a corgi?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shiba Inu -
    be prepared to HEAVILY + pro-actively socialize this breed -
    they are quite turf-y if not acquainted with friendly strangers from an early age.

U don't want to have them hit that secondary fear-period just before puberty - abt 4.5 mos to 6- mos age, depending, is onset - and FORGET all those early happy meeting with nice folks, of all colors, shapes, ages, diets, etc.

to PREVENT sep-anx in any breed, minimize the contrast betw 'i am home' And 'i am Not-Home' - don't say good-bye, Don't make a fuss on return, etc.

Teach the pup even when U **are** at home, that a certain amount of time alone is safe + normal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    French Bulldog, Boston Terrier and Mini Boxers I have found are good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's an easy one. French Bulldog.

Best of luck in finding your new Best Friend.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I own a beagle... but they require too much attention than your liftstyle. Basset Hounds are small and don't need a TON of excersize but they are just as hard to train as a beagle... which is really really hard. Alot of time and constistency. Have you looked into owning a Cocker Spaniel? They are very smart and learn quite quickly, do well on their own through out the day, and are small. They make great pets and have the heart of any other large, protective breed. http://my.tbaytel.net/klingman/d-c-lr-buffboy.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads
    DACHSHUND! they are good house dogs require medium exercise...about 30 mins a day and they can be easily crate trained! thats what i would get!