Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    immediately_missrhonda

bugs in split peas?

i am making split pea soup, i dont know how to check peas for bugs. i made split pea soup and there were black bugs floating to the top of the pot, I had to throw it all out. I am making pea soup again, and now its all cooked and there are white things in my soup....

candace b
    What a bummer! The only thing I can think of is to rinse them very well before cooking. Did you have them for a while? I now store all grains in a container with a tight fitting lid and store in the fridge.

reclusive extrovert
    That's hysterical!!! Highly unlikely the bugs will do you any harm (a great source of protein) though I agree they can be gross. Hard to say what the little white things are without knowing what other ingredients you've used.
    Sounds like you just need to find a different place to buy your peas.

saturdays child 56
    Boll weevil's will appear in dry beans if they sit around too long, even if still in the original package. Apparently the packers can't prevent a few eggs from getting in. (I don't know why) Any way the solution is WASH the beans before using! This is something you should always do with dry beans and peas. (A lot of people wash their rice before cooking also. )

Logic316
    Hey, it's just extra protein. Most flour, corn meal, beans, and other dry goods have a certain amount of bugs in them. Just take a spoon and strain them off the soup, it's no big deal.

Unregistered

white things in the split peas

White things on the split peas are just tiny little sprouts that started off of the peas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hey if you are making pea soup again, kinda mention the recipe of, i want taste.....
    Weight Management is
    Necessary for Health...!