Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Because of the rumors about bread going to $4 a loaf I am considering making my own.?

I have looked online and cannot find anything but recipes for a bread machine. I do not want to purchase one. Does anyone have a good recipe for old fashioned bread? Or is there a way you can use the bread machine recipes for the regular oven?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Once you make a few loaves by hand, you'll understand why people get bread machines .... You can put the ingredients in the machine at night, set the timer, and have fresh bread in the morning! ... I used to hand-make bread, and the kneading and rising is such a pain! Definitely not something you do on the "spur of the moment"

old lady
    Sure - there are lots of recipes for makaing bread without using a bread machine - but the reason bread is going to $4 a loaf (and it's already there in Hawaii) is because the cost of flour is rising, and that means the flour you buy to make your own bread is going to be a lot more expensive than it is today. Go to Recipezaar to get the step by step instructions for making old fashioned yeast bread.

a cabingirl
    Buy the book Beard on Bread- totally worth the investment, and it has great old fashioned real bread- the one appliance I would recommend is a Kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook- it makes a great difference in the kneading time. Good Luck!