Lee Westwood*has eyes on becoming the European Ryder Cup captain in 2020.
The soon-to-be 43-year-old thinks that he'd make a great leader for the biennial matches by the time the series gets to Whistling Straits, site of last year's PGA Championship, in four years.
“It’s four years away, but I’d love to do it,” Westwood said Thursday at the Shell Houston Open. “I think I’d be the right age. I’d still be in touch with the players.”
It might sound a little strange for Westwood, who has the fifth-most European Ryder Cup points in history, to appeal for a road-game captaincy. However, the Englishman seemed to embrace taking the European side into hostile territory.
“I’d like to do it anywhere, but I think I’d be good in the States,” he said. “I think it’s a challenge, to beat the American team on home soil. It’s never easy.”
Westwood is also still hoping to make the team that will take on the U.S. this fall at Hazeltine National. After his divorce last year, Westwood gave up PGA Tour membership and moved home to the United Kingdom. However, until last week in Austin, Westwood had also taken off nearly the last two months. He's 37th in the European points standings. In hopes of making a 10th consecutive Ryder Cup appearance, Westwood sees this week at Golf Club of Houston as the start of a run toward making the squad.
“Finding a bit of form,” he said, “so I’m looking forward to the next few months.”

Ryan Ballengee is a Yahoo Sports contributor. Find him on Facebook and Twitter.
Follow @RyanBallengee
LISTEN TO OUR WEEKLY GOLF PODCAST! This week: Golf ball maker Dean Snell of Snell Golf