Looking for suggestions for raising a family of 7?

O

omwo4

I am getting married soon. I have 2 boys and he has 3 kids. All age 10 and up. Does anyone know a good source for suggestions on daily life with so many people. For example - how on earth do 5 kids share a bathroom with less stress. I could also use some good ideas for feeding so many people including good sources for recipes. Thank you.
In response to Balloon - Please grow up! We are 40 years old - not 19.
In response to FlaChic - I see nothing wrong with asking others for how they came up with creative ways when they were in a similar situation. Sharing experiences helps us grow. I suppose that according to you, I should just automatically know how to go from feeding 3 to 7.

If you have to go on Yahoo and ask this question, then you certainly better rethink this marriage......you are totally not ready and it will probably be a disaster for 5 children. Now go do the right thing.

Well, I think you need to get another bathroom, I just don't think that will go very smoothly!!
recipes: allrecipes.com, they have a big variety of stuff, easy to navigate web site and lots of ratings and stuff for each recipe, also, you can change the servings amount for each recipe and it will figure out all of the measurements for you.
Also, get a membership to Costco if you don't have one, then you can buy food and supplies in bulk to save money. Good luck!!

the show "John and Kate Plus 8" is a documentry of a couple with twins and sextuplets. You could also watch other documentarys on TLC or the DISCOVERY CHANNEL

Hmm I'm only a kid and the oldest of two... oh well here it goes.

Plan their dinner. I would say you can actually make menu's. They write there name on it to let you know which one they are. Then you'll have an organized meal for them. Make sure the meal is healthy so they can have strong healthy bones. I would recommend fast food once in a while.
The one bathroom. I would say thet you should get as many activities for them as possible so if one is in the bathroom the other will have something else to do while waiting.
Pets! They could be great friends. If you don't have any, buy or adopt one and make sure it has its proper things. Would seven kids happily all walk their dog? It's your choice.
Make sure your kids are in activities. Sports would make a good choice such as soccer or basketball. To have a healthier family and easier lifestyle, try putting them in activities.

Hoped it helped!

well i have 5 and my partner 3 kids. you have to set times for things like showers and computer. older kids in the morning, younger kids at night for showers. computer is more difficult. another suggestion: start right off by having all the kids help with chores or you'll be the maid forever. make a calendar for that too. good luck

I am one of 9. My mother had schedules for showers, washing, chores list everywhere... time management....

Have them pick a time that works for them give them 15 minutes to shower.... have them change in their rooms..

And Make Sure your husband gives in put when sharing the task of giving out chores to both sets of kids.

From OPRAH...

(Oprah.com) -- As far as hard jobs go, it's up there with air-traffic controller and crane operator. Stepmothers preside over a minefield of hidden hurts, half-concealed traditions and occasional tugs-of-war. Want the job?

Don't let the stepkids or their dad turn you into a martyr.

It's been said that parenting is the toughest job in the world. Wrong. It's the second toughest: Stepparenting wins hands down. Right now, approximately half of all Americans live in a stepfamily, which means that every day, millions of women are subject to the taunt -- sometimes mournful, often angry --"You're not my mother!"

I've been a stepmother three times. I know, from hard-won experience, that a great relationship with your stepkids is possible. And if you avoid certain trapdoors like the 12 verboten phrases here, you'll not only get along, but you'll never have to ask them to pick up their socks.

1. "Go ahead, call me Mom!"

You're not their mother, and you never will be. They're conflicted enough, and pushing them to use a mom-name will only confuse them more.

Corollary: "We're going to be one big, happy family!"

You might eventually become the happiest of stepfamilies, but it won't happen overnight. Studies show the new family dynamic takes at least three years to fall into place, and the first year is the toughest.

2. "Feel free! Do whatever you want."

Don't Miss
Oprah.com: How to talk to your kids about divorce
Oprah.com: Secrets to mother-daughter relationships that work!
Oprah.com: How to heal the hurt of bad relationship with mom
Almost as much as they need love, children need boundaries and are adrift without rules. Learn to say (not scream, please) the phrase, "In this house, we ...," so that time together will not be bogged down with endless negotiations.

Corollary: "Let's get down!"

No matter how close in age you are to your stepchildren, you're still a parent figure; try to be an example of mature living and not "one of the gang." This is especially true if your stepkids belong to that group of psychotics euphemistically known as teenagers. Chances are they won't think you're cool for very long.

3. "I'll get it," "I'll drive," "I'll wash it," "Forget about me," etc.

Don't let your stepkids (or their father) turn you into the creature everyone in the world resents: a martyr. Martyrs make people feel creepy and guilty, and when kids feel that way, they generally act out. You're better off being wicked.

4. "Why the long face?"

Your stepchildren are allowed to be sad -- they're in mourning. Let them grieve if and when they feel like it. Sorry, but they probably will grieve more around you, since you're the evidence that their parents are never getting back together. Don't call attention to their sorrow; remove yourself, and get Dad to be a mom at this point. Their depression will pass --they're kids.

5. "Your dad and I always ... "

Don't allude to the great times you have with their father when they're not around. They already feel left out and probably imagine the two of you tossing your heads back laughing, spending wads of money, and throwing Ring Ding wrappers on the floor (not to mention the sexual fantasies going on in their fevered little brains). If you want to give them a positive image of a loving couple, just be a loving couple.

6. "Did your mother bring you up to do that?"

Never bad-mouth the ex -- and your husband (or partner) shouldn't either, even if the fur is still flying. Studies show that it's the ongoing conflict after divorce that hurts kids the most.

Corollary: "How could you have married such an idiot?"

Don't stand next to him when he's on the phone with his ex, making faces and sticking your finger down your throat. Don't write her letters or e-mails, and if she's a crank caller, get caller ID. Fighting about the ex -- call it the 'ex hex' -- is the equivalent of having a stink bomb thrown into your marriage.

7. "Have you always done that?"

Families have traditions that are meaningful to them. So if your husband and his children insist on watching "Hogan's Heroes" reruns, putting mayo on hot dogs, collecting rubber bands, or anything else you find distasteful, just keep your mouth shut.

8. "Your room is a pigsty!"

Something's got to give, and neatness should be it. If the situation is desperate and the kids are growing subspecies in their space, get Dad to go in there and organize a cleanup. Life is messy, and it's even messier when you choose a man with children. But remember: It's better to have a man with kids than one without kids who flosses his cat's teeth.

9. "Well, my kids and I ... "

If you have kids of your own who live with you and your husband, your stepkids may feel like they're getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop. Mentioning trips, restaurants and the fun stuff you did the weekend they were with their mom feeds the illusion that your children are getting more. Be clear that there are no favorites and everything is even between both sets of kids.

10. "What's the matter, never heard of thank you?"

Don't become a stepparent expecting gratitude. (Don't become a parent expecting it, either.) While you shouldn't tolerate rudeness, choose your battles carefully. Kids generally don't have the best manners; they get preoccupied and forego social niceties. Don't be petulant; you're the grown-up.

11. "We're not made of money, you know."

Their father's primary motivation is guilt. (Come to think of it, that's his secondary one as well.) Dad is guilty, the ex is angry, the battle is on, and money is the weapon. Stay out of the fight, work out a family budget, and don't discuss finances in front of the children.

12. "It's them or me."

It will always have to be them. Your stepchildren are jealous of you. But admit it, you're jealous of them too. If you make it a battlefield, this is a battle you'll lose.

Corollary: "Wake me when it's over."

Rather than enduring the time you spend with his kids, enjoy it. They're never really going to go away, even if you stay under the radar. Intimacy may be a long time coming, but, like so many other situations in life, you've just got to put in the time. Granted, it's a complicated dynamic, but the Beatles were right: "The love you make is equal to the love you take." Or is it the other way around?

how rude were the first answers I wish you well and i am assuming that the children get on There were 6 of us and we managed my gran raised 11 you just get on with it and delegate the chores

how rude were the first answers I wish you well and i am assuming that the children get on There were 6 of us and we managed my gran raised 11 you just get on with it and delegate the chores

Personally, I love Betty Crocker stuff. Lovely cookbooks and they're usually oriented around a busy-soccer-mom schedule so it's okay if you're always short on time. Most of them have nutrition facts (recent ones) and they're always thorough. If you have daily access to the Internet, you can always just Google new recipes. Always buy on sale, generic food. Cheap and if you cook it well, it turns out great.
Besides building more bathrooms, I recommend schedules. It's annoying and terrible, but it's effective. If your soon-to-be husband has teen girls, limit their time. Buy them compact mirrors so they can do their make-up and hair outside of the bathroom. Only reason to go into a bathroom should have to do with a sink, a shower, or a toilet otherwise they're hogging the bathroom.

Good luck. :]

Wow. More power to you. Well, since the kids are all older than 10 they could understand the need for some sort of structured routine in the house. Perhaps you could make some meals ahead of time and freeze them. Pasta always feeds a crowd. Maybe you could stagger the wake-up times for the 5 kids in the morning that need the bathroom. Just be creative.

We have a family of six and know quite a few people who have a family of 8+ so I think i may be able to help (although I am one of the kids, I am home all the time b/c I'm homeschooled and I serve as a babysitter to my four year old sister and 10 month old twin sibs, so I hear all my parents conversations adn have picked up a few things) I gave some links that may, or may not be helpful. But I hope they are!

Honestly I think dicipline and keeping your kids in check makes EVERYTHING easier! We knew a family of 11 or 12 (they had so many kids I forget how many they had!) And she basically said that at meal times the kids ate what they were given and meals were sometimes like an assembly line. They were also homeschool parents!

As far as sharing a bathroom, I've heard it's good to have little caddys- either some cheap bins from big lots or walmart with drawers, or small rolling shelves, or something, that contains each child's bathroom belongings. When the child goes into the abthroom they bring their caddy (which was in their room, closet, whatever) and then when they are done they put their stuff up and store away the caddy again, leaving the bathroom mess-free adn with plenty of space for other kids. And then there might be soem things that are either shared or small that the kids can keep in drawers/cabinets that won't overload the bathroom with junk.

When it comes to chores make sure the chores are distributed evenly and age appropriately, which will mean less work for each child and less for you, making the chores run more smoothly and keeping the house clean! maybe give one chore to each child, such as vacuuming the living room/kitchen (or other high traffic areas), doing dishes, dusting, taking care of pets, etc.

The person above me said to plan their dinners or make menus..that will never work, at least not from my experience!

Oh I just thought of something! My mom loves Rachel Ray's cookbooks, Betty Crocker cookbooks, and Fix it and Forget it cookbooks, which I believe can be found at walmart. Hope this helps =]

Back