"Lawsuit targets history teachers comments..."

Feb 25, 2008
Let me start off to say I am in no way racist or against Christianity in any way.

I am enrolled in AP euro at the moment with an extreme radical by the name of Dr. Corbett. Every class period is a Bush/religion bashing period. Nothing ever gets done, he reads out of the book, and then bashes. No one really cares and just listens to how idiotic he is. One kid in my class by the name of Chad Farnan records all conversations to review for notes for studying. One day out of the blue he decided to sue him for bashing Christianity and other faiths. What does ST think of this? Should the teacher be sued and fired?

TLDR: Student in my class sues teacher for bashing religion and other religions.

What do you think should be done about this? Should the teacher be sued? Fired?

BTW: front page story on LA times/OC register
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...la-home-center

You're not in OSST.. Just to let you know.

Edit-
Seperation of church and state.
His beliefs need to stay out of the classroom.

Yeah - people jump on people all the time for teaching religion, why not the same for bashing it? Why was it brought up at all?

He shouldn't get sued for his beliefs, but should get a slap on the wrist for shitting on others' beliefs

I just want to see peoples views on this. There are many different things that can be said about this.

Yah know?

Well what kind of things was he saying?

He's not saying you don't want people views on this, but he's saying you said 'so OSST...' but you're in ST and he was pointing it out.

you already posted this on OSST.

I think he should be fired for not staying on task and not teaching the curriculm. but sued? on what grounds?

well, if he is a public school teacher then he could be fired from his job for not teaching his subject area without a bias. But, him being sued for exercising his right to freedom of religion(or a lack there-of), or freedom of speech, is completely useless. But knowing the way things are now-a-days, He will settle for millions of dollars, "resign" from his job, and have any teaching reputation ruined even though he did nothing against the law.

My post looks like I mean he should be sued, so I'm just going to go ahead and say 'qft'.

Yeah... it looks like it. :tdown:

Court will happen

But really, it will.

As a social studies teacher it's against the law to influence students through your own beliefs.
Or something along those lines in my district at least.

i dont think the kid will be able to sue him, but the state may be able too

Exactly my thoughts. If that specific kid could sue, there is nothing stopping everyone in the class doing the same. I'd think the state would have to bring charges against him based on the testimony of the class as a whole.

But I'm not in law school, so I could be way off.

Back