Remember

ZainS

Apr 11, 2008
They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Alright... I've seen this little flower bit on several news reporters on the BBC as of late... what gives?

Is it a poppy?
Does is signify remembrance of soldiers killed in war?

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month 1918 the guns on the western front fell silent.

This should cover it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

In Oz the poppies are sold to raise money for the retired servicemen and women.

Aye, Lest We Forget.

You will probably have noticed my Avatar changed to a poppy dude with a collecting tin over the last couple of weeks. Remember those who have fought for your country.

Wait a minute, I work for hte government and I have to work on a Holiday????? HOly smokes.

Hats off to all hte veterans and active duty soldiers around the world....

Nice post. People fought and died, in a clear battle against evil in WWII especially. Thank your lucky stars they were willing to do it and take a moment to listen to the old duffer in the pub, at the bus stop or on the train; he might just be telling you how he helped make sure you get religious and racial tolerance, to vote and to speak English.

Respect, rememberance and gratitude to them.

Mitch

Well, we actually don't speak English over here but both my grandfathers fought in the second WW. So I have massive respect for these people.

Just been watching the news report on the oldest WW1 veteran going back to France for the rememberance events there. He is 107 this year (I think it said), and one of only 10 remaining veterans of that war.

I truely hope he and his fellows live to see the 90th Anniversary of the Armistace.

Yes, absolutely, I should have been more careful in my phrasing for exactly that reason. Many apologies Jesh, no offence intended.

Similarly, no offence to German posters; there were many German soldiers that fought with honour in both wars.

The poppy remembers them all.

Mitch

None taken mate. The meaning of your original post was clear to me, I just needed to rectify that little bit.

A very solid point. Everybody treats the Germans as if they all were warcriminals. History has shown that they weren't, in fact most warcrimes were committed by a small group of fanatical Germans and a very, very large group of other nationalities from conquered territories (Serbs, Ukranians, Latvians etc.).

Most German soldiers were honorable men, let's not forget that they have a huge military tradition and they had great respect for their opponents.

So although they're actually still my countries Nemesis, be it on the footbalpitch nowadays, I salute them and all the other people that fell in both great wars.

Back