Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: independence

Downloads
    Uploads

independence

Probably depends on how well you get on with your parents. Maybe if you have lived on your own for a few years and then gone back then you could have a good relationship, more like equals than before you first left.

Downloads
    Uploads

independence

- His parents are away very often.
    - No need to cook your own food, wash your clothes etc.
    - He doesn't have to pay ANYTHING, except his own bills.

Just to name a few...

Downloads
    Uploads

independence

In terms of becoming an adult, most of those are definitely disadvantages.

Back to the original question, and throwing light on my answer above, it dependes what you mean by adult. If you mean physically beyond adolesence, that's one thing.

As a teacher in various areas, I meet people who meet that criteria (I met one today), but do not meet any other definition of "adult".

Let me give some examples:
    When I was 1-6 I had no idea what other poeple were. Only "I" was important. I was not an adult.

When I was 6-12 I thought a lot about other people, but always in relation to me. I was not an adult.

When I was 13 -18 I started to develop the idea that I was 1 amongst many. I still was not an adult.

When I was 18- 32 I knew I had responsibility to others in an ethical and theoretical way. But I still was not an adult.

Now I have a son. He is utterly my responsibility. If I take that on board fully, in all its connotations, I will be an adult. He's 18 months, I'm still growing.

I don't mean to say that only parenthood makes you an adult; I do mean to say that something, probably something that scares you, will push you beyond where you are now and into something better and so much more rewarding that I cannot even begin to describe it.

That might be parenthood, it might be VSO, it might be many things; but you owe it to yourself to find it, because you wont get another chance.

Mitch

With best intentions. If nothing else, read poetry: the best possible words, in the best possible order.

Downloads
    Uploads

independence

You are right, but that wasn't the issue here. And for him personally it hasn't caused any problems.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123