What kind of food should i bring for hiking/camping?

Alice

May 15, 2008
My cousin and I are going hiking for a week. He knows what kind of food he's bringing (some expensive stuff), but I don't (can't afford). What kind of food should I bring? We have the opportunity to heat food, but not to keep it cool (like a refrigerator). Please help me!

1. For short hikes, food is more of a nice to have rather than a necessity. But, on long hikes, an adequate food supply is critical to success and safety.

2. 25 Delicious Camping Recipes.

foods you like so that you will eat it. Take a walk down the easy prep food row of your local grocer. There are hundreds of choices that you just add water boil and eat. Add in some tuna, chicken, beef, salami and you have a main course dish. Dried fruits, nuts for snacks and make tea's to drink and your good to go, here are some more suggestions,
http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/planning-menu.html

You can eat cheaply. You do not need the fancy dehydrated food packages that your cousin is probably buying. You can build your own with instant brown rice, instant pearled barley, quick-to-cook, thin-style, whole-grain pasta.

A few foods you can pack:

Nuts, dried fruit, Bear Creek soups in Zip-Lock bags for individual servings, any dried soups and noodles or grains, instant pasta and rice dishes in regular grocery aisles, dehydrated egg whites, powdered milk, olive oil, spices, pancake or biscuit mix.

Back