What do I say to convince my parents to let me adopt a the smallest breed...

MrseKitty

Jun 19, 2013
...of dog that can live outdoors??? My dad said I can adopt any breed of dog,but she has to stay outdoors!
I need to Know the smallest breed for a small house that can tolerate cats.
And can you give me dog care tips

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack Russell Terriers are great little dogs, tough little dogs, and very hyper. Terrier literally means Earth, so I know it'd love the outdoors. If you want a dog that doesn't shed, I recommend a Bichon Frise.

As far as dog care tips.. Wash them once every couple of months, brush their teeth also (You can get dog toothbrushes at a pet store, they're much rougher than human toothbrushes. They can have regular toothpaste but obviously do not let them try to eat it), you'll need some heart worm medication, shots, spayed/neutered, and always occasionally check the dog's body for any ticks, bumps, or anything abnormal. You always want to make sure your dog is happy and healthy. Regular exercise with the dog is recommended for bonding as well as health :)

Small dogs do not belong living outside. If the dog can not live inside the home, then now is not the time to get a dog.

NO NO NO NO NO WHY DO YOU WANT A DOG JUST TO BANISH OUT SIDE....TREAT IT LIKE A FAMILY MEMBER OR DO NOT GET A DOG.... FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO WITH YOUR TIME...... HEALTH CARE FOR A DOG IS COSTLY....$400 TO $1000 IN THE FIRST YEAR ALONE.... FOOD ...BEDDING... TOYS...ALL COST MONEY..... AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON

Don't get a dog. Your family is not ready for one.

- a father who says his kid can adopt any breed of dog, clearly has no knowledge of dogs and breed traits

- a dog is a social animal and should not be kept outside alone

- small dogs don't do well outside, they tend to be more delicate and sensitive regarding the weather. It can quickly get too hot or too cold for them

Dog care tips:
- Any breed of dog needs to go be activated physically and mentally for at least 1 hour a day. If you get a high active breed, you are looking at at least 2 hours every day
- Any breed of dog (except working flock guardians) should not be left alone for more than 7-10 hours a day. Think about it: are you willing to spend that much time outside? It is much easier if you can hang out with your dog inside. You can nap with it, watch TV with it, read a book or do your homework with your dog next to you
- All dogs being left alone need to have been home alone trained
- Dogs need to be walked and exercised
- Dogs need to be trained

I know you want a dog really, really bad. But, you are not ready to have one just yet. I say that because it sounds like no one is going to help you care for it. If it's going to be up to you, spend some time at the animal shelter helping out and learning. They always need walkers and people who will spend time helping socialize puppies.

So, your real first job is talking your parents into providing transportation to the animal shelter so you can volunteer and learn.

Back