Caring for a first time mother cat and kittens?

Rebecca

May 14, 2008
She gave birth yesterday, entirely by surprise, we saw her hiding and then we thought she may have gone into labor, checked her 10 minutes later and half her first kitten was hanging out! She is young but has had no complications, she was purring when we checked her after another half hour by which time she had 2 little black kittens. Their genders are still unknown, we are gonna have a look when their eyes are open. Anyway, we put down a box as she was really away from the official birthing box, so just an old budweiser box with a towel in it, which did the job. So she bled a bit, and we want to change the bedding to keep her clean, how would we go about moving her and the kittens? She is fine with being stroked, under the chin especially, which was really quite close to the newborn kittens. How do I do this without agitating her? Also we want to put her in a bigger box as she seemed to fill the whole space! but we'll do that when we change bedding etc. I'm really excited, my little half brother was at his mums when she gave birth and he didn't even know she was pregnant! He's gonna be so happy! The kittens are teeny, so cute! She may have had three by now, we don't know yet as she has her back to us, hiding the kittens, and has been all night. They are feeding off her, I know she will be fairly independent with all this but yeah, the bed issue. Also any other care we can give her and kittens? Please help :))

Back