hired when company owner is on vacation?

david

May 11, 2008
I newly landed into a new job for a week, in my dream company.

Not hired by the owner ( small firm ), yet hired by a manager who took part of the owner's job when the owner is away - the owner is abroad for a vacation and will be back after a couple of weeks.

Usually it's the owner that recurits people and makes hiring decision. - if he's not away.

Actually, i only newly know that hiring manager for just a week, while I have known the owner for longer time ( through networking , just "friend", during the networking, i did not ask for job, and the
owner did not say whether he would hire me or not )

My question here is, usually, if it's the owner of small firm that makes hiring decisions, if new people are hired during the period when the owner is away, does the owner know it ?

I just saw the company's hiring ad on the internet and then responded it by sending my resume to the designated email address ( received by that manager ), but as I know the owner , I also sent a personal message to the personal email address of the owner , mentioning i had applied.

The manager called me for an appointment of interview, but the interview was not a formal traditional interview, very easy interview, he just invited me to meet him in a coffee shop, and did not seem to exam me by asking questions, simply chatting with me, like two friends casually chatting and sharing experiences.. .. so it seems that the owner had introduced me to him already before he met me.
I guess, company owners still keep in touch with the offices when they're away on vacation . If there's a need of hiring new people during this period, the owners do not participate in process of selection, but will be informed who're selected for the positions.

The hiring manager did not know me, but the interview turned out to be an easy one, perhaps the owner had told him to hire me.. I applied and then sent a personal message to the personal email
of the owner too ( at the moment i did not know he's away, and he could read email everywhere )

Back