Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why is a Volkwagen 2013 Jetta TDI better than a Volkswagen 2013 Jetta SE?

Can you tell me more about the TDI diesel engine? Why do people like it so much? What makes the Jetta TDI so much better? I'm a 18 year old about to get my first car.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Diesel is different. The engine is completely different. Needs nothing for maintenance until you need to do the timing belt. You get a dealer shop to do that because they need to set the injection timing again. When it is spot on it runs with a rattle(meaning a healthy diesel engine)

The big thing is getting used to finding diesel stations. No one is gonna steal fuel out of your tank. You cannot road race from a stop light. Diesels don't do that. And there is nothing for you to wrench around with. Just have a good battery (I had 1000 CCA) and I was good summer like winter)
    I even had the non turbo model. Turbo model lasted 350K miles and I lost the fuel injection pump(no replacement on the West Coast and it cost more than the car value)

It is different. You have to drive it. A diesel is a diesel. Mercedes, Mack truck, Freightliner, etc.
    Fuel used to be 1/2 the cost of gasoline and you could do double the miles per gallon compared to gas. Oil companies have caught on and now charge the same as gas for a lesser fuel.

A fuel that can be distilled from grain stalks(when engine was first invented it was for the farmer tractor and the fuel was made from vegetable oils)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The diesel gets amazingly good MPG, as good as a hybrid or even better. That's basically the reason why people like diesel cars.

But before you get a diesel, check the prices of gas vs. diesel fuel where you live to make sure that it still will end up being cheaper to run a diesel (because even if it gets great MPG, if diesel costs more than gas, that MPG advantage gets smaller).

Some diesels also need a regular additive that's expensive, it's added to a tank in the engine compartment. You should find out if the Jetta has that and how much it costs and how often it needs to be added, and also factor that in when comparing to the cost of a gas car.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pluses:
    No spark plugs, plug wires, igntion coil packs, or ignition ecu.
    Great mileage, over 40 mpg.
    Better low end torque, so it feel faster.
    The low rpm power curve reduces rpm and makes engine last much longer.
    Usually about 30% more life out of a diesel.
    Expect over 350,000 instead of 250,000 miles.

Negatives:
    Costs over $1000 more.
    Not all stations sell diesel.

Can produce odor when you first start, especially if indoor garage.
    Harder cranking, especially in cold weather.
    Turbo charger takes up room and needs maintenance ever 150,000 miles or so.
    A little rattle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would get the TDi, it is more reliable and has more torque then the 2.0 and the 2.5. I have driven all 3 and the diesel by far is better then the gas motors. If you get the diesel servicing will cost more and not all stations will sell diesel. My friend has an 02 TDi with 375k on it and has never had any problems with it. All of the transmission and engine components are original including the turbo.