Have Seniors seen the latest new car gadget?

melonhead1

Apr 5, 2013
It is a vacuum cleaner in the back seat of minivans:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/03/26/honda-odyssey-vacuum-cleaner-honda-vac-new-york-auto-show/2022873/

Is that cool or what? Would have liked it when the kids were small....

NEVER clean the car....Another thing to gather dust under the stairs..?

Awesome gadget, and yet someone will still suck up a mitten or a juicebox and clog up the system. For my own family it would have to be a "wet/dry" type of shopvac.

I saw a bit on it on TV last night. First time I've seen it. I think the idea is terrific, but I wonder if it is a bother to empty, or may clog or breakdown easily. I know it would sure be easier then dragging my vacuum, or using those at the car wash.

I did see it and just told my daughter about it. I don't think we ate so much in the vehicle when my kids were little. They usually waited until we got somewhere to eat or drink. And it was before seat belt time so I'd hold my infants in my lap if I was the passenger. I didn't drive with an infant at all. It's a great idea for modern families.

Finally, something practical amid all the useless electronics introduced daily !

4sure one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" ideas . . . . hope it becomes available in more vehicles as I'm tired of dragging a regular vacuum around - or paying my friendly service station $2 to use theirs.

ADDED: just remember that back in the late 50s & 60s, Lincoln & Mercury had optional vacuums under the hood - that cleaned the ashtray !!!! You'd think that a vacuum to clean the interior would have occurred to them before an automatic ashtray cleaner.

Neat, but I'm unimpressed w/ most gadgets that increase the cost of the vehicle.
I saw one recently where this vehicle pulled the side mirrors in electronically so it could squeeze into this tight space against the wall in a parking lot ... then the driver emerged f/ the rear of the car w/ a hatch that opened ... like that's going to happen in MY life.
I saw another one where the kid in the back seat is pleased because hit butt's warm f/ the seat heater.
I have vacuumed my vehicle on a regular basis ... I prefer not to pay for that gadget.
You know what I think is cool? ... is the powerful household wet/dry vacuum cleaner w/ all the attachments one would ever need (including detailing the car). I saw that recently on TV.
I highly suspect a built in car vacuum is more of a gimmick than a worthy accessory.

I can plug my mini-Oreck into the electrical outlet near my driveway and the cord is barely long enough for me to vacuum out the car, and the vacuum hoses at car washes don't seem to have enough power to do a good job cleaning out the floorboard....this built-in vacuum cleaner idea is genius....the mini-van can be cleaned out when there's a few minutes to spare anywhere it's parked (something I would have done at lunch break at work for example).

Back