Why does bmw limit their cars to 155mph?

Colin

May 16, 2008
If you're going to poor all this racing technology into your car with a powerful engine and aerodynamics and stability control and all that why just cut the limit at 155 and not just let the car go as fast as it can. I think other automakers limit their cars also but bmw was the first one I could think of. I asked this question before and I did not get the answer I am looking for, I am not asking HOW they do it I'm asking WHY they do it

Optionally-equipped performance packages on German cars makes it possible to defeat the (standard) rev limiters. Rest assured, these cars are engineered and built to exceed 155.

Germans are much more realistic than "litigation-crazed" North Americans. They figure if you are foolish enough to drive at high speeds when weather or road conditions make it unwise to do so, or if you don't have total control of your car, resulting in a crash, it's your own tough luck.

Did you know running out of fuel on the autobahn can get you a traffic ticket?

Well, I don't know for sure -- but I have a suspicion.

Even though a BMW could go faster than 155, it might not perform safely at that speed. Perhaps cars can become "unstable" and become dangerous to operate at extremely high speeds. BMW may have intentionally put a governor on their vehicles to ensure they stay safe, and to ensure they don't get slapped with a lawsuit when someone is injured or dies when driving their vehicle too fast.

Back