If Homo Sapiens (modern day humans) migrated out of Africa, where did...

DevinFernandez

Feb 22, 2013
...Neanderthals come from? I have read that Homo Sapiens encountered Neanderthals in Eurasia. If Neanderthals were living in Europe and Asia prior to Homo Sapiens, where did they migrate from? Did they not evolve from apes? I have also read that remnants of Neanderthal DNA are found in all (if not, most) modern day humans except Africans. Does this suggest that Neanderthals never migrated out of Africa?

It may seem like I am all over the place, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

All modern humans are from a group who left Africa about 50,000 years ago.

Outside Africa was already populated by the Neanderthals. These were the descendants of an earlier group of humans who left Africa about 180,000 years ago.

Although the modern humans eventually displaced the Neanderthals, it took tens of thousands of years. The Neanderthals were no push-over. They were big and strong and had offensive weapons. But it is thought that they did not have language as we know it.

Neanderthal is the only hominid to "evolve" outside of Africa. Neandethal evolved from Homo Heidelbergensis in Eurasia. Neanderthal was built for the Ice Age. We evolved from Heidelbergensis or perhaps another hominid in between us and Heidelbergensis in Africa. Us(Homo Sapiens Sapiens and Neanderthal have the same direct common ancestor.

Back