What are martial arts supposed to look like in a real fight?

ethan

May 19, 2008
I noticed when someone practices a certain style of martial art, it seems to display a certain identity of the style of the art during training or hitting pads. For example, when you see karatekas doing katas or hung gar swinging their arms, you can identify the style or tell if they are really even martial artists. But when it comes to a real fight, all the visual characteristics are not seen and fighters look like just kickboxers or street punks swinging their arms who don't know martial arts.

I came across this thought after watching some street fight and MMA fight videos on YouTube. So my question is, is it possible to tell if someone is a martial artist or not in real fight when it seems anyone can throw punches or imitate what they see on tv?

boxing, amigo. i spent 3 years in karate and taekwondo. i tried to kick in a fight before, they wouldn't help you at all. your friend would just grab your kicks and punch you, it happened a lot of times to me before and one time i got in a real fight the guy grabbed my leg and threw me away like a barbie doll. i never lost a fight before i joined karate and taekwondo (i took them at the same time) we had a quick rematch 2 days after though, i just punched him multiple times and choked him till my friends stopped me (i was already a skilled boxer even before trying karate and taekwondo) i never had a single scratch since then :D

When comparing an exercise to a real fight, it's very unlikely that they will look the same. Evidences in a fight that someone studies martial arts would include the ability to deliver and avoid blows / throws / holds, the ability to take a hit, and the ability to find "soft spots". Then again, just because someone practices martial arts doesn't mean they're good at it. Fighting is largely about acting with little to no time to think, and some people are pretty good at it without having ever trained in a martial art. But people just can't imitate what they see on TV. Conditioning comes into play for one thing, that of the bones as well as the rest of the body. And without proper form their strikes will have no power behind them. And without the ability to take or avoid a hit / throw / hold, they may never have a chance anyway.

Yeah I agree, when it comes to doing pads or mitts or whatever they look very proffesional, but when it comes to a street fight, everything goes out the window except for there conditioning and boxing.

Back