Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am having serious trouble training my dogs?

I got them a year ago, and while they are both well trained in some aspects, they WILL NOT listen in others. Their training was going perfectly when I first got them, until my brother came to stay with me as he lost his apartment. I was using positive reinforcement, but he began getting angry at them and hitting them despite them only being newborns at the time. He also only ever punished the larger dog, and now the smaller dog believes that it can get away with anything!
    I have now tried everything, read all the books and watched all the shows; they won't cooperate. Honestly I think it is because when I try and train them in one way, my brother - still freeloading - refuses to change the way he treats them. He will use commands that I do not want to use, he will get them to do things I specifically don't want them to do, and he will punish them for something he caused - like them getting wet when he locks them in the rain. What should I do? I can't tell my brother to leave as this house is not mine and I don't have the right to do so. I have little money, but I'm seriously considering training school... Or hiring a professional dog trainer.
    Is training classes worth it? What goes on there?
    Also, my last dog was a show dog and she was extraordinarily well trained. I can't expect that again, but I would like my dogs to be at a high level of training. Is hiring a professional going to give me that for the money? And how much money would it be?

Thank you,

Downloads
    Uploads
    it's not your dog, it's your brother. Train him...

Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't need fancy trainers or training classes. Sit and talk to your brother about the way he treats your dogs. A dog doesn't understand why it is being punished so there really is no need to punish a dog. Tell him that if he doesn't change his ways he needs to look for somewhere else to live. It is so unfair on your dogs and you need to treat them 100% right in this situation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't need fancy trainers or training classes. Sit and talk to your brother about the way he treats your dogs. A dog doesn't understand why it is being punished so there really is no need to punish a dog. Tell him that if he doesn't change his ways he needs to look for somewhere else to live. It is so unfair on your dogs and you need to treat them 100% right in this situation.