How to connect laptop to Home Theater (with HDMI preferably) so that it plays

DanBSit

Feb 26, 2012
the sound from the laptop? The laptop is Dell Inspiron 1525, with HDMI port, what i guess it's an optical port too, and the Home Theater it's a Sony DAV-HDX576W which has an HDMI output and also an optical output.
Also i have several HDMI cables, and there's a Toshiba LCD TV in case it is needed for this.
Some of you seemed to ignore this:

- I DO have an HDMI output on my laptop
- The Home Theater has optical input.

Still open to other advises, but the "connect pc to tv with hdmi and then, tv with htib through optical" sounds ok. I would prefer to find a way to obtain this without having to get an optical cable though.

Those home theaters are not meant to play other components in surround sound. Only DVD's. That's why they don't have inputs. It would need to have a HDMI INPUT as well as an OUTPUT. I don't beleive it does

Your home theater in a box does is not flexible for adding anything to it or for upgrading. They are mainly designed for you to watch a movie with surround sound. Check and see if your system has an optical audio input. If it has you make connect your laptop to the tv first then connect the tv to your home theater using optical audio input. Without that then you are out of luck. Hope this will help you out.

Most laptops have an "audio out" jack, aka, headphone jack. Purchase an adapter that fits the headphone jack and on the other end fits into the audio in on the rcvr. Some have a MIC jack on the front that works fine.. Also, some laptops, higher end, have hdmi output as mine does, that can be connected to your hdmi in on the rcvr or or the tv.. If the laptop has optical? out, that would be the best source for the sound, but I'm not aware of any that have that option.

Not going to work without an hdmi input on the htib. Throw that crap away & buy a real receiver & speakers.

Back