Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    scarletpac

do i need a hd tv to play my hd dvd player?

more specifically for a-holes...until i get my hd tv can i hook up my hd dvd player to my old flat screen. i just wanna watch the dvd...it was off regular price if you got the hd dvd instead of the regular dvd

niel718
    Yes you can, however it wouldn't be HD. Once you get your HDTV get yourself a HDTV antenna as well, or HD channels from your cable or satellite provider. You'll see the difference between HD and non HD. Perhaps you might want to buy HD movies as well. I feel lyk a salesperson here

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm certainly no expert on this sort of thing, but as I am in UK we dont have a lot of HD programmes, most of our new TV sets are said to be HD 'ready', which means to me that whenever a HD signal is available my new TV will recieve the signal, providing the correct cable is used.
    Now as we have some HD programmes on sky I assumed my new TV would be ready to recieve the signal, I have sky and the dish etc. When I called sky to ask why I would need their little black box for £300 on top of an increased subsciption to recieve their HD signal, the guy gave my loads of waffle, I couldnt understand a word of it. So I will be looking at your answers with a lot of interest.
    As a futher point of interest I was in a large super market and noticed a nice new TV hooked up to a HD player, no little black box in sight, it was playing a HD DVD, so there is the signal to this HD 'ready' TV!
    I was amazed, I had to call the sales guy over, I asked "Is that a HD picture on that screen"?
    He beamed at me and said it was, he added "Lot crisper isnt it"? It was as crisp as a soggy pancake!!!
    Good luck with the rest of your answers.
    Just noticed your first answer!
    Possibly a good point ? A normal TV will recieve a color signal and play it in black &white, so a HD 'ready' TV will recieve a HD signal but give you no HD output, without the little black box!!That's handy then isnt it?????

Downloads
    Uploads
    You CAN play the movie BUT you won't be watching it in HD. A quick lesson: Your player is capable of reading the disc and sending the signal to the TV and your TV is capable of displaying the image BUT it will downscale the 1080p image to 480p. Hope I helped!

Downloads
    Uploads
    No you do not. You can connect your HD DVD player to any TV untill you get an HDTV using component wiring. Just set the output to 480i and it will work fine.
    As long as you paid $100 or less for your HD DVD player you got a good deal because your HD DVD player is a good upconverting DVD player (although you won't get that benefit until you DO replace your TV with an HDTV) but you won't get a whole lot of HD content out of it because they stop releasing new HD DVD movies in May and some manufacturers expect the industry to switch to a Blu-Ray primary (not exclusive) format in about a year and a half.

elpreci
    It is not strictly necesary, but is very advisable in order to enjoy the features of your new HD DVD player

elpreci
    It is not strictly necesary, but is very advisable in order to enjoy the features of your new HD DVD player