MMA OR SHOTOKAN KARATE?

NeonWolf

Dec 15, 2011
ok i have been doing mma for 30 years now always training to become the best, i would always say karate is **** and i would never learn it. then one day i was invited to spar with a shotokan club so i joined thinking i would kick ***, but i ended up getting my *** kicked i could not get them to the ground because of their stance. and i was wondering should i drop this mma and do shotokan karate? even a ******* yellow belt beat me omg!
what i meant is i have been doing mixed martial arts for years
ok i am thinking of going back and fighting the blackbelts, but i can't even get them near to a wall without getting my assed kicked

You have had a very common experience. MMA is a great sport, and they work very hard at their sport. However, they do not teach a LOT of things classical shotokan does teach. Those guys just did things you are not used to having done. For the sport os MMA, many of the most effective things have been either removed, or modified for safety. They would frown on killing or maiming the sporting opponent. Not so in protection. I would suggest you think it over before you switch, and go with what you know you need, rather than taking advice from internet strangers. Your MMA training has not been in vain, you are way ahead for it. Perhaps it is time to refine some of that. Your choice. But don't feel like the Lone Ranger for that experience, it happens often when true martial art is encountered by the sports crew.

I'm glad you finally see that it's not nonsense and that an individual with true Karate training is someone NOT to be trifled with. You've been spending years practicing a sport (no offense and that's not a bad thing) but you must understand that we who train in traditional arts have been working with styles that have proven themselves through time. Karate has been around for awhile. I've seen people who have trained in Karate get battered and thrown about not because they were just bad, but because the training they had from some mcdojo did not properly prepare them. On the other hand, I have a very close friend who is a Karateka that has not only successfully defended himself in the past but has royally whopped their asses too.

It all comes down to the training.

I would not say that you should drop MMA has again, it's a sport. Can't hurt. But if this dojo has produced individuals that have fine, quality training, then I suggest that you train there IN ADDITION. There's no need to sacrifice. Just remember, go in with an open mind and forget what the modern world deems "useful". If it wasn't useful, it would not be taught in a good dojo.

Good luck

huh.. never heard of lyoto machida before this?

any martial artist with better experience can beat an MMA guy and any MMA guy with better experience can beat a martial artist. no martial art is shit. im sure there are other martial artists who do other martial arts that can beat you, not only the ones in shotokan

shotokan is a well rounded styles complete with everything including ground work
mma is a sport the name mma has only been around since the 90's before that it was shoot fighting, or cross training.

i think your story is full of it, and going by your other questions and answers only confirms it for me

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqPHwBDnIjyHe7KFRbNwp1rsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20111101175814AAa9jAE
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Agjeh.ZOE2m1Czwz7mP2phjsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20111119193437AAgyY2R

Back