i feel like i just don't know how to deal with my anger sometimes. my roommate (i'm in college), as much as i love her, is always making plans with me to do something (like today, she said, "do you wanna go eat around 8 when i get back from my concert?"), then either forgets or cancels (today, she forgot about our plans to go eat and ordered food with other people instead. this isn't the first time that's happened. last weekend, she was supposed to go see a school show with me, and at the last minute, another one of her friends invited her to dinner and she went with her.) she tends to talk to me when i'm studying, even when i put in my headphones, but i try not to talk to her when she's doing homework. i just find it a little rude sometimes. my biggest issue is that she is only interested in theatre. and specifically, only a few certain actors. it's all she talks about, non-stop. i am a theatre major, so the last thing i want to talk about it theatre with her. after being around it all day, i just can't deal with that. but i can't talk to her about much else, because she: a. doesn't have other interests, so i can't talk to her about other music (she doesn't listen to anything besides musicals and music by these actors) or anything else, and b. she'll just bring the conversation back to her. she tends to dominate conversations, and almost always talks about these actors. for instance, this past weekend, i performed in a school event (a tradition where students get drunk and go see the freshmen perform) that she said she was going to, but once again, accepted last minute plans, even though she already said she was going to this school event (says she forgot...in that case, she forgets things a lot of the time). i wanted to tell her about it, because she missed it, but sounded somewhat sincere that she had wanted to go. i knew she'd want to hear about my crazy night, and even had said to be a little while before, "i wanna hear about it!" when i tried to tell her, though, she kept interrupting my story with her stories about HER weekend, and the actors she's obsessed with. her forgetting about dinner with me tonight was the last straw for today, and now i'm just angry. she's not a mean person. in fact, we knew each other before coming to college & rooming together, but we weren't very good friends, just had met at camp a few summers ago and got along there.

i don't know how to handle my anger when it comes to things like this. taking a deep breath and trying to relax never work, and when i'm angry, i don't want to exercise. i feel like i just want to throw something against a wall, whether it's my phone, a ball, a book, a glass. are there any good ways i can deal with my anger? i tend to hold my anger in a lot of the time, so when i something is the final straw, i get really really angry and have to hold it in, making my day awful.

don't worry, i'm not rooming with her next year, mainly because i really need someone with other interests to room with. i've already got a roommate picked out, but i don't know how to nicely tell my roommate now that i'm not rooming with her next year.