Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would try every other day. Also don't feed them more than they can eat in about a minute. If the food is left on top of the water because they don't eat it then it floats to the bottom and makes the tank dirty. The dirty tank causes all kinds of other problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    a lot

Downloads
    Uploads
    poop

Downloads
    Uploads
    very often

Downloads
    Uploads
    basicly fish produce ammonia which turn to nitrite then nitrate. this nitrate is then used up by plants. the faster the plants grow the more they use up which is why i suggestyou get some flaoting plants, riccia, duckweed, salvinia natens.

you can have alot of nitrate in an aquarium but once it is 50ppm on the chart then this is too much so a water change must be done.

the more you feed also the more nitrate you get as food breaks down into ammonia. i would feed tiger barbs around 3-4 times a week.

mainly worms such as blood worms, small earthworms , grindal worms and tubifex.
    then the odd day some flake food. they will also eat boiled boccoli , boiled peas also.

if this tank has not had fish for 6 week yet then yo will kill them off feeding this often

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still a novice at keeping fish myself, but being that you have no answers so far, I'll give it a shot:

You didn't mention how much water they're in or if there are other fish. If there are only 6 tiger barbs in the whole tank, then yes, two pinches sounds like an awful lot to me. We have about 20 fish and do one pinch, and they do fine. I've read that fish can go for days easily with no food and probably don't even need food every day, but many people don't know that, so over-feeding is very common.

On the other hand, I know a spike in nitrate soon after starting a tank is a normal part of a cycle, and that it will soon rectify itself.

I would contact a couple of pet shops around you that specialize in fish (or who have a person specializing in fish) and ask them, to make sure.

Note after seeing my answer as number 19 (!) : When I saw your question, it said it had been asked 3 hours ago and there were no answers. That's why I said what I said.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh! Poor Tigers! Never feed them barbs, it could hurt them!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It could be hes depressed lol doesn't want to eat which the longer the food sits in there the higher the nitrate try getting him a companion or half the food intake as suggested by others

Downloads
    Uploads
    don't feed them too much

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont know.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast