Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Irrelevant. Even if an exact duplicate could be made it would not be me. When my consciousness was destroyed in the death of my original body it would not be magically transferred to another. You might as well ask if a clone is still us.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If my mind were transferred into a completely new (younger and healthier) body, it would not be the same mind. First there would be a lot of disorientation, and then I would become what my body was. I am more than the sum of my physical parts, but my mind has clearly been influenced by my physical facts of life for all these many years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What makes you think my neurons need replicating?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would willingly undergo that procedure, if it was available. I would however do it when my current body is worn out and about to fail.

In fact, I am hoping for it, and when it is available, I shall mourn all those people you died before and could not be 'salvaged'.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Willing? Such technology would allow my self to be "recreated" multiple times. I could have an army of me!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I doubt that I would have that much faith in technology

Downloads
    Uploads
    A thought experiment! Yay!

I think the process of dissecting my cells, cell by cell, might kill me.

But hell if it worked for others! I wouldn't believe them though, but assuming it had worked, and it was verified, then there's really no point to this.

A cell is a sum of amino acids and it is currently under research the construction of a single strand of RNA.

I can't say that my understanding of my own consciousness is necessarily an amalgam of parts, because not I, nor you, nor any human being comprehends what conciousness really is. However my consciousness must be formed by the chemical processes taking place in my brain and body at this moment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let's get real that won't happen humans will have destroy themselves before getting anywhere near this level.

If something can do that (Create you again) it's infinity and probabilities.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a very interesting question. My own bias is that science would be correct and that you would be you without any loss of so-called "soul".

You have also offered immortality. If such science in your hypothetical ever came to be, I am one hundred percent certain that would be the end of religion. No more fear of death. By that time it should also be assumed that humanity will have an excellent and exemplary set of moral values in place. After all, the paradigm has to shift some time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12