Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Atheists, in the near future if a technology existed to completely replicate

your neurons? Would you willingly, allow your current body to be destroyed, to live in a new body? It would be an exact duplicate as you are now, every neuron in place but with a better body. Lets say several people had done it before you, and said nothing had changed.

Would you willingly let your body and brain be completely destroyed, and then let your brain be completely replicated in a new body.

Or do you think, there is a possibility there is more to you than the sum of your parts? Would you wait till the bitter end, just incase?

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Or do you think, there is a possibility there is more to you than the sum of your parts? Would you wait till the bitter end, just incase?"

Ah, there's the religious ignorance. There is no soul, but I would not choose to live forever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    if i didn't need it there wouldn't be a point to it, but if i did i wouldn't mind having the option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What does this fantasy of yours have to do with atheism? Why not ask the Christians?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm happy as I am, cherub. And, yes, of course I'm more than the sum of my parts - I'm the sum of my experiences, which has formed my unique personality.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Um. No. I would NOT do that. How do I know that that's just a complete replica and "I" won't be destroyed. Whatever. No. Or maybe there is no "I" but it still wouldn't be the same brain and everything. That would be totally creepy. No.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, if I was severely damaged or old.

Of course there is more to people than the sum of their parts. However, the emergent aspects are the result of the sum of the parts and nothing more. So, if the replication were accurate, then no aspect would be missing.

In fact, you could make more than one copy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not an atheist - but I would not.

Let's assume that this process could replicate and transfer my neurons, ok? That would be a copy of me because I would not be the same person. Have you ever watched Doctor Who? Actually, Stargate Sg-1 has a great example of this as well. The copies think that they are the real ones, but they are not.

"I" would not be transferred into the new body - a copy of me would. There is no telling whether or not "I" would wake up - but a copy of someone who shared the same memories as me would. They would think that they are me, but "I" would no longer exist - assuming that I died in the process.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Would be kind of Star Trek stuff
    But what the heck
    Beam me up Scotty

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mind transfer doesn't exist yet. It may come a century or so later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast