Is there no good Internet browser for slower computers these days?

Newsgroup

Sep 16, 2011
I have a computer that could be considered slow by today's standards, even though it was pretty good just a few years ago. Just so it's clear, it has 2.6 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM. It came with XP, but I installed Windows 2000, to make it run fast without the need for additional RAM.
And it runs fast, if it wasn't for the goddamn Internet.

If I'm surfing the Internet for one day, or so, no matter what browser I use, my computer slowly becomes unusable.
I'm especially mad at those jerks who make firefox and seamonkey, because they did not think to 1) make their software use RAM to a limit, and 2) give up the RAM graciously when it's no longer required.

I'm assuming that the need for more RAM is the problem, because firefox or seamonkey is the only running application that uses more than 100 MB of memory. Hell, only one that uses more than 50 MB...
WTF? Internet Explorer never screwed me like that...
Yeah, firefox and seamonkey can use (each) close to 400 MB of memory, at one time, out of the 512 available.

If I open several tabs, and keep surfing, commands, to any application, increasingly take more and more time, and my computer just craps out eventually, to the point where, even if I 'End Process' on firefox/seamonkey, the computer still has to be restarted because it's unusable from that moment forwards. (I mean it freezes for very long periods, before finally doing what it's asked to do, after which it freezes again, and so on, and so on.)

Software made by mozilla people seems to always get increasingly bloated, with very little functionality improvements, and one can never rely on getting a steady version that will work nicely forever without requiring updates (- just try firefox 2 on YouTube).

So, anyway, because I just want a browser that can behave like any software that likes Windows, I've tried Internet Explorer again (but IE6, which is the only IE version I can use - no 7 or 8 on Win2K - has serious security issues, so that's not a viable option), I've tried Opera, I've tried Netscape, and nothing good came out of these attempts.
Unfortunately, I did not get to see these programs at work in the long run, because they crashed due to other reasons, while trying to view one site or another.
(Oh, and please don't tell me I may have viruses or computer registry errors, or any other stuff that infects newbies, because that's just not the case. If I always close the browser after two hours, or don't open too many tabs, and if I don't keep the computer on for days in a row, then everything's fine. I'm also running anti-virus and anti-spyware protection, too, by the way.)

I'm getting to the point where I may just try Safari for Windows, 'cause I'm out of options.

What do you think I should do?

P.S. If anybody is absolutely, 100% sure that another 512 MB of RAM will fix all these problems (and can confirm that my computer is very probable to become unusable like that because firefox or seamonkey, which seem to be the only two widely-compatible browsers in the Win2K market, want to get 800 MB of RAM, or something), then please feel free to tell me to get more RAM. If not, please suggest a good browser I overlooked. (Chrome is not available for Windows 2000.) Or just advise me how you see fit, please. [And sorry for whoever read this long, crappy cry for help in its entirety. I know I'm wasting a lot of your time. Imagine how much it took me to create it, though. But I just had to ask for help, regarding this. And thank you very, very much!]

Back