What tires for my Utility Trailor when moving a VW BEETLE?

RyanH

May 13, 2008
Hi i have a 18 ft utility trailer with 15' wheels on it double axle... I dont haul many heavy things on it but need new tires.. I will be moving a 1970 beetle on it for about a 6 hour drive. "aprox 1,900 pound car" Can i get away with getting a cheap set of 15' regular tires rather then then 6 ply trailor tired that will cost me 120.00 plus each.. i will probably never haul a car again... What do you guys think?

heck if its a vw beetle just pick it up and put it in the back of your truck. no seriously, if you have a tandem axle trailer with 15" wheels on it the axles are rated for between 2200 lbs and 3500 lbs a piece. If you get some 205/75/r-15's they will hold the weight of that vehicle well depending on your placement of it over your axles. If you can balance the weight evenly over your axles yer tires should do just fine. check the weight rating on the "cheap" tires your looking at and you'll be fine.

All tires have Weight rating so do the math. Or go to a tire store and get some good used ones.

Back