Long story made short:

I liked this girl, but lost the opportunity to ask her out after someone else got to her first. We're still friends and chat online occasionally.

I had never previously met her boyfriend IRL, but based on circumstantial evidence, I think he's paranoid. For example, he has Facebook-friended all of her male friends (at least five of us whom he has never met) though none of her female friends. (He wants to view our wall-to-walls with her?) He seems particularly afraid of me. Before we had even met, he knew where I lived and went to school. In messages, he mentions my hometown frequently, almost like an obsession, as if he were reassuring himself, "I'm over here (with her), and you're stuck over there." I might be projecting. We go to rival colleges. But the way he always brings it up just seems weird...

Sometime next year, she had planned to work as an intern in Washington, D.C. She had already taken trips, conducted interviews, and arranged housing with her future roommate, another close friend (whom he didn't feel the need to friend, btw).

So, the other day, (we hadn't talked in awhile) she posted on my wall, asking how I was doing. I answered, and then asked when she was leaving for Washington.

And out of nowhere, I got this message:

"She's not going!!!! She's staying in (City, State) with me!!! Booyah!!!"

She never answered. The conversation ended there. I was furious! Was he taunting me on my own turf?!!?!???!!?!!!

But then I began wondering... Is he trying to interfere with our friendship? Is he sending a message to me not to mess with her? (I wouldn't. Cheating is against my morals.) Is he admonishing her not to speak to me? Forcing her to give up her dream job? Am I reading too much into this? ...but if nothing is wrong, why isn't he letting her answer my question for herself? Should I worry that she is in danger of an abusive relationship? My mind is running in a million directions, and an objective assessment of the situation would be very helpful, because the truth is that I still care about her. Thanks.