How do I get rid of stinky dishes?

mysty

Sep 4, 2008
I use dawn dishwashing detergent the oxi one is best and I don't have that problem with hard desert water. Some water has sulphar in it. Stinks like rotten eggs.

Ok, here's the deal... I just moved into a new apartment and for the first time in my life I do not have a dishwasher. So I am having to wash everything by hand. But for some reason, my glasses smell funny after they've been cleaned and dried! I don't get it... I wash them first since glasses tend to be the least dirty when it comes to dishes, so the water they're in is clean and super hot. I let them soak in water hotter than I can stand it (as hot as it gets) for at least 10 minutes before washing, I use lots of soap, rinse with hot water... but they still have this smell to them. It's not horrible, but it kind of makes you think twice about how clean the glass is if you smell it when drinking from it. I'd hate to have guests over drinking from my glasses and that thought run through their mind. Does anyone know how to get rid of this problem? Something I can add to the water? Thanks!

I don't own a dishwasher....so this is strange. Are you washing in the correct order? First glassware, then eating utensils (or vise versa), then dishes and finally pots and pans? If the glasses are coming later they may be picking up grease from earlier items.

Ditto, change the sponge weekly.

You may have stinky water, I do, maybe I've never noticed it on glassware. yes, on plastic stuff, it does linger after the plastic gets older. I do notice ice cubes stink and mess up drinks........is that the problem? use bottled water to make ice.

Don't use too much dish soap, it may be the problem. Hard to rinse off. You might want to try an intermediate rinse of either vinegar and water or bleach and water......not both! Then rinse again with plain water.

I don't own a dishwasher....so this is strange. Are you washing in the correct order? First glassware, then eating utensils (or vise versa), then dishes and finally pots and pans? If the glasses are coming later they may be picking up grease from earlier items.

Ditto, change the sponge weekly.

You may have stinky water, I do, maybe I've never noticed it on glassware. yes, on plastic stuff, it does linger after the plastic gets older. I do notice ice cubes stink and mess up drinks........is that the problem? use bottled water to make ice.

Don't use too much dish soap, it may be the problem. Hard to rinse off. You might want to try an intermediate rinse of either vinegar and water or bleach and water......not both! Then rinse again with plain water.

I use dawn dishwashing detergent the oxi one is best and I don't have that problem with hard desert water. Some water has sulphar in it. Stinks like rotten eggs.

Yes, if your glasses are clean, then they are picking up the odor from somewhere else. If the smell doesn't match your dish soap, then look elsewhere. I have no idea.

Possibly use a dish soap that contains a bleach? Or disinfecting? Or make sure the way you dry them is not with an old wet towel or sponge. or if they air dry on a rack that if you have a towel or rag underneath that it is clean. It could be the sponge or scrubbie you're using? try using a clean wash cloth?
It could be your water? But I think you would notice if your water had an odor.

Back