Is science a more reliable source to know about the world than religion and

xmonkeyfunky89x

Nov 16, 2010
philosophy? I have a philosophy paper due this week as my final. I kind of know what my opinion is but I wanted to know what the people thought. I kind of would like to have a mixture of opinions. Please and thank you!

Science will tell you how things work from the universe to the diversity of life to a microchip. But science will not tell you about the world of political and religious conflict or how religion has influenced history. So you need to understand both.

Sure, when you get down to it science is the seach for truth. Religion is is about faith, which is about believeing in somthing that has no truth

Everything is more reliable than religion. Any religion is more reliable than Christianity/Islam.

Without Religion, Philosophy and Science did not exist. Philosophy and Science base their theories on Religion.

Science deals with what is empirically measurable. Religion and philosophy are called "metaphysics," Latin for 'beyond physicality.' It deals with realities that often defy being contained and measured.

You need both to have a balanced view of the world.

Religion is an abstract belief, you believe without materialistic proofs or evidences. Science and technology after it are discovering and showing us the proofs and evidences that this universe has a creator; and He is Superior to anything we imagine. so these proofs are the manifestations of HIS omnipotence and and omniscience.
Thank you.

In science, you at least know you aren't fooling yourself. If you are measuring something, and some other person is also, and you get the same number, then it has to actually be there.
So yeah I would say its more reliable.

Definitely not. Faith without science remains blind and does not bear fruit, but science without faith is crippled and cannot advance.

Besides, science cannot in any way explain what compels suffering Christians to forgive and pray for their tormentors. What, may I ask, could possibly be the scientific explanation behind loving your enemies?

Well this is definatley a topic in which there are many opinions!

Personally I have mixed feelings. I am a Hindu, but I don't believe in a lot of the Hindu beliefs. For example I don't believe how they say world was started and I don't believe in how they think the world will end.
In order to learn about the Earth, I think that science is the best way to go about it. Religion, I believe is a way to explain things that we can't understand. Take in account the Greek and Roman mythology. At the time it was considered a religion and it was truly believed "The reason the sun goes across the sky is because Apollo is driving his chariot". But now we know that, that isn't true at all.
This is an interesting topic. If have more questions, feel free to email me.

Philosophy deals with the abstract form, thus it has no direct relation to reality, while religions are based on belief and blind faith, most of the time directly against our mind and logic, so if you are interested getting to know things you need a scientific method.
On the other hand our present, earthly sciences are solely based on our 5 physical senses, even the most sophisticated equipment, or tool is just an extension of these physical senses, thus these sciences are incapable to reveal anything beyond the physical reality.
So if we want to perceive the whole reality, where our physical realm is just a tiny fragment, we need a scientific method that can extend our perception enabling us to sense beyond this world.
Please see the links below for further explanation:
http://www.laitman.com/2009/11/a-practical-method-to-reveal-the-hidden-part-of-the-world/
http://www.perceivingreality.com
http://www.laitman.com/2009/12/the-difference-between-mysticism-and-science/
I hope you find this helpful, all the best.

I believe science and philosophy are more reliable than religion. Philosophy is an important tool too...

Yes. Although natural sciences evolved from natural philosophy, philosophy has a poor track record because it tends to rely more upon prior works than direct investigation, not to say the science rejects the former. Religion offers little insight as different cultural groups have different traditions for the same phenomena.

Back