Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a person who wants to learn martial arts,a comprehensive knowledge?

standing- punching,wrist manipulations,headbutts,kicks,scuffles,weapons etc...and a tough one at it,none of this soft judo crap,real life street type.
    Grappling- wrestling(both standing and on the floor),what martial art or 2 would u recommend for me,ive never done anything ever,someone told me muay thai and bjj,i like the idea of muay thai except it doesnt seem to include joint manipulations,and bjj seems to sports oriented,i dont like the fact ur flat on the ground(on the streets their friend would be stomping on u,plus its dirty)i prefer a tough wrestling style i.e. catch or sambo,but what would u recommend for a complete pre-beginner who wants to learn the most effective,and be the best and toughest he can,without nonsense bowing,uselss dances,unnecessary tai chi or animal movements and useless belts etc... and lastly the two would have to be very compatible,so if for example its muay thai fighting,and i drop to the ground,the best style that would get me into a domination position(winning the fight) ,or would u just recommend a complete martial art i.e. japanese juijitsu,hwa rang do,krav maga and ninjitsu, thank you very much for your help,please it would be very helpful if experienced professionals could give their opinions,thank you.

i think u'll have slightly misunderstood me,i admit i too thought tai chi is vodoo crap,the reason i insult judo is cos noone seems to take it up anymore,people use its throws and ignore the rest i.e. sambo,about animal moves i know it works,but we're humans we have our own ways,and limitations animals dont,we dont see bruce lee or chuck norris who studied many ways with animal moves,u see those silat masters in malaysia they have respect,are careful without bowing to anyone.i personally prefer ninjitsu stance-neutral,the enemy wont know,but id like to know everything effective,when ull say classic i think japanese juijitsu sounds good,but dont know if theres good classes in london,i know of silat lessons,but is silat that good? i also know of krav maga,but worried its just a hype,what do u'll think?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't insult any martial art when you haven't even studied one yourself. Ignorance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Go join your nearest JKA dojo. Their karate has everything you have asked for and a lot more besides. The "soft judo crap" you refer to is a serious martial art that will slam you into the ground so hard you may become broken. I have been there, and judo folks are anything but soft!
    NOTE: all other classical martial arts will al;so address your needs. However, you will find that bowing is not nonsense, it is respect. The "dances" are far from useless, as they teach you how to kill another person. You have a badly warped idea of what martial arts are, and until you realize that You will never get anywhere. Go find a good CLASSICAL martial art, and study it for 30 or 40 years if you truly want comprehensive knowledge. Fill your boots.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first thing you need to do is adjust your attitude , i'd work on that if i were you before you approach any martial arts instructor . The disrespect you have shown to a couple of martial art styles just now would not be tolerated in any respectable martial arts establishement

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah Grasshopper, How can you learn any art since your head is full of what you think you know? You seem to have a lot of misinformation that you call knowledge for someone who admittedly has never studied.
    Krav Maga is a combat system based on Israeli Krav Maga, what you would learn 99% of the time has nothing to do with the real thing.
    TaiChi, al the karate styles, all the traditional Tae Kwon Do styles are complete arts, they teach all that you have mentioned and much, much more, when they are taught as they were meant to be. Not all schools will teach any style as an art. It is a buyer beware market. The more a school focuses on sport the less it can focus on self defense, that is the school NOT the style.
    Most styles have been invaded by the belt mill problem, a few like Kyokushin Karate and Kajukenbo are more resistant but not immune.
    Bottom line, find out what is available near you, go check out the class. Choose between instructors / schools not styles. Quality instruction by a competent instructor in a realistic manor is much more important than what you call it. That and your dedication to learning, which you cannot do until you open your mind.

Downloads
    Uploads
    you have a very poor understanding of martial arts.

judo and aikido work just fine if it didn't police departments would teach it in there academies.

forms are the manual to the style all your grappling, throws, strikes, locks etc are in forms. as well as all the tactics, timing, footwork, etc.

almost all styles are practical and work. if you cant get a style to work that is your fault not the styles. other people have bin using that same style and it worked fine for them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    you have a very poor understanding of martial arts.

judo and aikido work just fine if it didn't police departments would teach it in there academies.

forms are the manual to the style all your grappling, throws, strikes, locks etc are in forms. as well as all the tactics, timing, footwork, etc.

almost all styles are practical and work. if you cant get a style to work that is your fault not the styles. other people have bin using that same style and it worked fine for them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to share a little something I learned... Take it for what it's worth, and maybe you'll learn something.

I have notebook after notebook of notes from the Bujinkan (Just the Bujinkan -- I've done others as well). 1000+ techniques, transcribed in detail, then broken down and analyzed. Techniques for standing, kneeling, laying on the ground, laying on top of a wall, and leaping from above. Very few are the kata you see in Kempo or Karate, but they're there. I've learned dozens of ways to strike: with fingers, knuckles, knees, head, hips, feet, shoulders, elbows... You get the point.

1000+ techniques. You know what it all boils down to? Movement. The bowing? Don't worry about it. Do it and get it over with and you get to the good part. Besides, it can teach you things as well (reiho involves kamae!). If you don't want the belt, opt to not rank. You're a fool if you think tai chi is useless, and the animal movements are emulation of nature -- animals only know efficiency.

You think that you'll go into a class, learn a few techniques and automatically be a monster on the streets. I watch your sort come and go -- they get into an egotistical fight, they move to apply their technique and find out, "Oh god! It's not working! WHAT DO I DO?!?!" They inevitably try to force the technique, and they get flattened. They haven't the sensitivity to feel where the other person's movement is going, they haven't learned to control their heart rate so they don't expend too much energy, they haven't learned that all that "soft judo crap" is designed to allow them to spend less energy to lay the other guy flat and all it takes IS CORRECT BODY POSITIONING.

You want to go force against force? Fine. You'll lose, then you'll decide, like every other meathead has, that martial arts is BS. And that's fine; you're just taking up space in our classes anyhow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You need to check out the schools in your area and see what is available. Any martial art can be taught for self defense as well as for sports. Did you know that if the 'soft' judo slams you on the ground without a mat you will probably not want to get up again even if you can? Even with the mat the constant falling in a hard practice session is tiring.
    Did your know Tai Chi is a martial art and extremely vicious? Just because you do not understand the moves does not mean they don't work. Did you also know that advanced Tai Chi is very fast? Have you ever even seen advanced Tai Chi or just the slow stuff that moves like a lava lamp? Unfortunately no one has the patience to stay in training long enough to find out the hard core stuff. To make up for the lack people made it into some mysterious voodoo it is not.
    Bowing has a purpose too. If you just learn to beat up people without respect for life you will become a bully and most likely end up in jail for assault one day. To bow reminds us that our knowledge is deadly and can potentially harm our training partner if we don't care for others. If we keep hurting our training partners then pretty soon no one will train with us anymore and we will not learn. Bowing also means that we respect and appreciate our teachers for teaching. To appreciate someone and the things that are done for you will teach you discipline. Discipline is necessary in training as well as in fighting. Only someone who has discipline will understand it's advantages.
    Kata or forms are not dances and are definitely not useless but only someone who does traditional martial art would understand that.
    You wanted opinions from professionals. No Professional would see the martial arts the way you do or talk about them the way you do. In all sincerity check out some traditional schools see what they teach and talk to the teachers. Then you can choose a good school that teaches what you want to learn rather than a style that may be watered down but looked good on paper.