Teachers, Bribes and Graduation?

nikes4life

Feb 29, 2008
Im a senior in HS. I graduate (or hope to do so) in 30 something days.I bombed last quarter.Im suffering from bouts of depression and in a recovering stage. I got a job and joined rec and competition soccer at the Rec where I work. Im ready to focus on school again. Im willing to do anything to get my grades back up to passing. My one teacher wants me to turn work in and after he looks at it he'll make his decision on whether or not he'll accept it. I offered to help his decision making along with a bribe. It was only bringing him coffee. I really want to graduate but should I really go to the measures to do so?Also, im not sure if he'll push for more bribes? And not sure if he'll ask for different kinds of bribes, if you know what I mean.I don't really have a question but Id like some insight and advice and just your thoughts on this.Thanks x3

HS is not just a certificate, you should be learning in school as well. And hopefully it is not a place where you learn to get things easily by offering bribes.

Do not bribe anyone, the coffee thing is cool but nothing else. Do not put to much on your plate though, because you sound like you just filled up your whole schedule. If you need time for your studies all this extra might conflict. Hard work and perseverance and you will get through it.

...Do you plan to go to college? You need to get a better work ethic and bribes won't help in university. I know you had a bad time, but now you have to suck it up and work hard. I'm about to graduate next month from university and I have a ton of stuff due and its crunch time and I just want to crawl in bed but I can't. You do what you need to do.Do the work and really put effort into it, and let it show that you're trying to make it up.

What ever you do, don't offer any kind of bribes. It could backfire. If you can't get your work back up to par in time to graduate, your can still make arrangements to participate in the ceremony and finish you requirements at summer school.

DON'T OFFER BRIBES! I'm sure you are a beautiful girl, and help is all you need, nothing more, if you know what I mean. Go after school and get help. Try to have other people around though and if you are with a teacher alone, make sure the door is open . . .

Just do a good job on your work and let that speak for itself. Since you offered the coffee already, you may feel you need to follow through, but don't offer more and bring someone with you. Stop playing games. Your self respect is worth more than an easy grade and it won't backfire as you can see this other route might already.If you need to make up a couple classes, then do it over the summer. You should be able to graduate (walk) with the rest of your class and be on target by fall.

If he pushes for more bribes, then report him. It is hard to say without being there, but perhaps he was making a joke? I suspect (given that I'm a prof) that he was just commenting on the need for caffeine or his lack or time or his frustration with having to deal with assignments late at a busy time of the year. My guess is if you show up with a big cup of joe, he wouldn't have expected it in the first place (at least I hope). I never ever expect my students to do anything for me except for work hard.

Back