Is it better to sign up with YMCA or La Fitness for a gym membership?

JaeLynn

Aug 15, 2009
YMCA says it's $31 a month and no joining fee during their promotion... LA Fitness said either pay $99 initiation fee and $29/month, or $0 initiation fee and $39 a month. You can quit La Fitness anytime but YMCA has a 1 year contract.

I'm not really sure which would be better. Both have pools, but I think Ymca's pool is better but probably has more kids there splashing around. I hear bad things about LA Fitness but its like 1 minute from my house. Any suggestions as to which one i should pick?

I have LA Fitness membership and really enjoy it. I used to have YMCA a long time ago. I think YMCA is more 'family' oriented and normally have a lot of kids inside... where on the other side LA Fitness is more 'adult' oriented and have better equipments for my needs.

Hello.

I am a member of the Y (MCA) and I prefer it over LA Fitness because they offer so many community programs for people of all ages. And for the record, there are no contracts for joining. They also offer scholarships for persons in financial need. They post their membership rates on their site so the rates are consistent and there are no tricks. Some clubs offer different rates for different members of the same financial/family composition so some people pay more than others if they don't negotiate the best rate.The Y is a great family facility.

Scotty

LA Fitness is better and it's a lot less crowded than the Y. IMO

Back