Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Scotty W

How has Bi-Polar disease effected your relationship with friends and family?

I have this disease and was wondering, compared to myself. How is effects others with it.

candy1974
    Ive lost many friends due to my bipolar & many of my family members I keep distant Its hard for others to deal w/ when your like 2 totally differant people at times I have a hard time keeping a job also it effects every aspect of your life including relationships, some people just dont understand OR DONT WANT TOO!!!!!

Nightwriter21
    Bi-polar, manic depression, is always a contributing factor in every relationship I've had since I was 17. If I was elated, I found it easy to meet people, get dates, have a good time, etc. If depressed, I would not even try to do these things. In my early youth, I suffered more from unipolar depression, which made it very difficult for me socially.

In important relationships my undiagnosed manic depression likely had a most profound affect. First it led to choosing an unsuitable person as a wife when during a period of severe depression we met and then my mood swung to elated, or hypo-manic, and in that state I threw all care to the wind by marrying her. It lasted one year.

I again, still undiagnosed, became emboldened by manic energies at play and after a torrid romance married a woman who could nearly match my unbridled powers for sex and my penchant for unconventional living. A much calmer and equally sweet woman had been there for me as an alternative but I threw her over for a more exciting mate. This union came to an acrimonious end after seven years.

So I would judge to say that my bi-polar illness (I prefer to call it an illness, since disease conotates something somehow catching like the flu) has affected my relationships greatly. Even today, after over 20 years on treatment for it with lithium, it still effects me every day and does not go unnoticed by my patient and understanding third wife of 17 years who is very good at ignoring me when I get a bit wild.

Hope this adds understanding of your own situation. We are brothers and sisters in our singular affliction which is still too little understood by those who do not suffer from it.