There were maggots on my dishes. Can I still use the dishes after cleaning them?

CiarraL

Sep 6, 2010
So, I left a few dirty dishes in my sink over the weekend. I come home to find those dishes covered in small maggots. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened. My roommate and I were both gone over the weekend so no one was around to clean them until we returned.

When I saw them, I immediately washed the dishes with lots of dish detergent and hot water. I made sure they were all thoroughly clean before putting them away. My question is--is it still okay to eat off of these dishes? I know it's probably a silly question. One would assume that because they're clean, they're still okay to use. But I didn't know if maggots could potentially lay eggs on them. What would happen if I accidently consumed one? Should I be throwing out my old dishes and getting new ones? This whole situation has me a little creeped out, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

One's assumption is correct.

It is impossible for a maggot to lay eggs, as they are the immature stage of a fly.

Honestly a little bit of soap isn't going to clean everything. I would fill the sink up with water and a little bit of bleach and let the dishes soak in the bleach solution for a bit. Then wash them again to get the bleach off. That way everything is dead.

Back