I had an account with DirecTV for 11 years, always paid IN ADVANCE per their Service Agreement. I cancelled the account 7/3/10 via email. They responded, saying I needed to cancel by phone. I was out of town over the holiday weekend and called them on 7/7, once again saying I was cancelling. The CSR did cancel the account, but wanted to "split the difference" between 7/3 and 7/7 (petty!). I told them go ahead if it was that big an issue! Inconsequential, because I had pre-paid the account through the end of their billing cycle, to and including 7/14. After cancelling, they sent me another bill for service from 7/15-8/15- WHY??! I'd always pre-paid my service, and own all my equipment. My dish has been physically disconnected since 6/29 when I had DISH installed. They have no legal reason to bill me or take me to colllections. When I received the first bill after cancelling (on 7/19) I wrote their office according to info printed on the back of the bill in the event of a dispute, and explained the situation. Also sent a copy to their regular billing address, saying the account was in dispute. AND made multiple phone calls to them, in which they told me they'd "check into it". I just received paperwork for a mortgage re-fi with an entry that needed an explanation. Some business I didn't recognize. I looked into it and found it was for a collections agency. What do I do now?! I've done everything "by the books" and they seem hell-bent on extorting money from me that I don't owe! How can I get them to back off and get their records straight?