We have multiple return air vents in our house. Is it okay to partly cover one of

Monica1

May 13, 2008
them that is in our bedroom? I want to place our bed over half of the return air vent in my bedroom. My husband is freaking out telling me that you can't do that. I understand you wouldn't want to cover every return vent but we have multiple ones throughout the house. Is it okay to partially cover one of them?

unless you have multiple air conditioners/heaters, you only have ONE air return... all the other vents are where the warm or cool air come out into the room.... covering that with a bed would make a huge difference in whether the room stayed comfortable or not.... your hubby is right... they shouldn't be covered, especially if that's the only one in that room....... if it's a MUST, then there must be a deflector that moves the air from the vent in a direction other than under the bed.....

Yes, it's OK to partially cover a return air vent...some houses have a single return vent and some have multiple ones like yours. If you do have other return air vents in other rooms, it won't affect the overall balance of the HVAC system to block a portion of airflow from one vent. The return air vents are there to provide a path of circulation of heat and cooling air but they are necessary to balance the airflow in the HVAC system...if you block too many, the blower will work harder to suck in air and may overheat or lessen it's lifetime. It also depends on what type of system you have...if the blower draws in fresh air from outside,.. it's less of a concern. Your bedroom temp may be affected by it somewhat and not blocking it would be better but if you don't fully block it, there should still be enough airflow through it and under the door to provide circulation. If you leave your door open, it's really not a concern at all as the air will simply be drawn into return vents in other rooms.

ok let me straighten this out for you. Yes, you can have several returns in a house. you should, in fact. and as long as you are not completely obstructing the face of the grill, then it will pull under your bed just the same. you only need about six inches of space in front of a return grill for it to wwork properly

We had a similar problem in our last house. We purchases a clear plastic deflector that attached to the vent with magnets. It diverted the air so it was not blowing directly on us. You might try that as a alternative.

Most home improvement centers will have them

Back