My dog ate a chocolate bar. Should I take her to a vet?

melikedonutz

Feb 26, 2008
I got home from a quick trip to the store to get some dog food. While I was done, the dog (a 100 LBS 1 year old mastiff) decided to eat a bar of dark chocolate on the counter. What should I do? Should I just watch her and hope for the best, or take her to the emergency vet? The bar was approx 1.65 oz and 72% dark chocolate (according to the wrapper).

Try to make her puke...she is big so she should be ok but to be on the safe side call a vet hotline!

Well how long ago was it? After 4 hrs, anything is digested that would be a problem. But watch carefully.

Your dog is probably ok as she didn't eat a lot of chocolate, but keep an eye out and if she seems to be getting ill at all then take her to the vets

Being that big of a dog you probably don't have to worry. You can call a 24 hour vet but your dog will probably just get the runs and maybe vomit.

You should take your dog to the vet right away. It's not worth the risk.

Its probably not a big deal at all...A mastiff I'm sure has and will eat worse things...It'll be out of her system tomorrow...just make her drink water..

I think the best thing to do would be to call a vet and go from there

Not all dogs are affected by chocolate. Be sure to watch her closely. But if you really love her as much as I love mine, I'd make a visit to the vet and get her nails done at the same time.

my dog (cocker spanial) got into a whole box of chocolates he was hyper but fine, i think your dog will be fine

I know a golden retriever who ate a 3lb pound box of sees candy that was under the Christmas tree and was fine. Just watch for lethargy, loss of appetite, and vomiting. If none of those things happen then she'll be fine. :)

Phone the vet and ask for advice. Dark chocolate is the worst for dogs. The vet will want to know the type and how much the dog ate.PS No don't just watch her. She will most likely be OK but because you say its dark chocolate I would be more worried.

No question take her to the vet.Chocolate can kill dogs...not sure about dark chocolate though.Try calling an emergency vet first.I know in the past my dogs have eaten a lot of chocolate and not so much as gotten sick.It's sort of like an allergy.Some dogs can die from chocolate,and some can't.Majority DO die from eating chocolate so vets just tell everyone to not feed their dog chocolate to be safe!

take her to the vet immediately dark chocolate is poisonous to dogs she should havew her stomache pumped and be given charcoal to absorb the other toxins that are left

i think you should take her to the vet and see if everythings alright with her because dogs arent supposed to have chocolate and could possibly die from eating it

Back