is it ok to wear more than one nicotine patch?

DatniggaXay

Mar 2, 2010
im 17yrs old male, and i smoke strong. i started using the patch 21mg to help stop me smoking. so far i only made on day without a cig, and now my body is crying for a cig. im wearing 2 21mg nicotine patches and im fixin to put another patch on because this is driving me up the wall; i really want to quit but idk....ANY HELP PLEASE...but is it okay to put one more nicotine patch on??
I smoke newport menthols, i started smoking last year of feb.

Wear the patches

im 17yrs old male, and i smoke strong. i started using the patch 21mg to help stop me smoking. so far i only made on day without a cig, and now my body is crying for a cig. im wearing 2 21mg nicotine patches and im fixin to put another patch on because this is driving me up the wall; i really want to quit but idk....ANY HELP PLEASE...but is it okay to put one more nicotine patch on??
I smoke newport menthols, i started smoking last year of feb.

Yes I am pretty sure it is okay. In fact a clinical trial was done in 2007 to study whether wearing two patches would be more effective than one for people experiencing strong cravings (Here's a link: Concurrent Nicotine Patch / Denicotinized Cigarette Therapy for Smoking Cessation II - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov).
There is no way they would have done a trial getting people to wear two 21 mg patches if it wasn't totally safe.
I wouldn't worry about it too much - if there were some risk of nicotine overdose from wearing too many patches they would either ban patches or put loud colourful warnings on the packet at least and patches would definitely be a prescription medication as well.
I'm wearing two right now as I have the same problem as you, and I am doing fine.
I would go ahead and wear two, even three if you have to. It's got to be better for you than lighting a cigarette. If you can do so, you should talk to your doctor about this too. Good luck!

PS - Nicotine levels: Patches versus cigarettes

im 17yrs and i smoke strong.

By the way, just how strong do you smoke? A 21 mg patch will release that amount over 24 hours. That's about 8 mg an hour or 1 "mild" cigarette an hour. I know I smoke twice that and my body is used to double that amount of nicotine, which is exactly why I am now wearing two patches.

This is my third time on the patches and it's only now made sense that I'm not gonna have any luck quitting if at first my body doesn't get the same amount or even more nicotine from a patch than it would from a cigarette.

Back