How do I get a title to a car with only a bill of sale?

J

Jonathan M

I bought a car and the preson i bought it from, dident have the title and he dident have it titled in his name.the person he bought it from dident have it titled eather is there anything i can do?

You can try and file for a lost title with the bill of sale and
VIN number. Hopefully, the VIN does not show as a stolen or salvaged vehicle. There are a few reasons you would have ran into this situation; they were flipping cars and avoiding titling them for taxes or dealer charges. They sold you a stolen car. They put the car together with salvaged parts. I hope you have all their information. In the future, never do this! If you are in trouble, keep any records you have to show you were scammed. Names, dates, times, receipts, e-mails, phone calls, etc...

You can try and file for a lost title with the bill of sale and
VIN number. Hopefully, the VIN does not show as a stolen or salvaged vehicle. There are a few reasons you would have ran into this situation; they were flipping cars and avoiding titling them for taxes or dealer charges. They sold you a stolen car. They put the car together with salvaged parts. I hope you have all their information. In the future, never do this! If you are in trouble, keep any records you have to show you were scammed. Names, dates, times, receipts, e-mails, phone calls, etc...

Make sure to contact your local DMV (Dept of Motors Vehicle) - ASAP because you really don't know who the car belongs too and it might be stolen.

No Matter what people should have the title.

If you have possession of the car you need to start by checking with the DMV in your state to see if the car is stolen and has a free and clear title etc. if the car is "hot" do not waste your time. cut your losses and turn whoever sold it to you over to the cops.

if that is not a problem then there are procedures for getting a car title transferred into your name. every state is different. call the police or DMV and ask what the procedure is in your state. call a wrecking yard or tow truck operation and they can give you an outline of what it will take and where to start. verify the procedure on your states web site or over the phone with your DMV.

this is the abandoned car route. any vehicle abandoned on your property can be claimed by you. you file some paper work. send a few letters to the last title holder and wait. if they do not respond you take your paper work down and get the title in to your name. if they are not willing to come forward and reclaim the car then you can get the title. Also you can charge them for storage until they come get the car in some states. if the car is somewhere secure where they cannot pick it up in the middle of the night then you start by sending them a letter telling them the car is in your possession and you will be charging them so much a day to store the car until they come and get it.

in most states the law sets a time table for claiming an abandoned vehicle. after that time the car is considered abandoned and can be claimed by the property holder where ever the car is physically located.

this is why you need to know up front if its stolen. If you moved the car to your property to do this procedure and you are not a towing company you may be considered in receipt of stolen property or charged with auto theft.

if all you need is the paper work the DMV can provide a replacement title for the last known owner and then you track them down and get them to sign the car over to you. they may not be able to send or give you the tile they may only release it to the last registered owner. in that case you will need to make arrangements with them before you pay for the replacement paperwork. if they are not going to cooperate then you can still go the abandoned route.
good luck!

Where I live (Alberta) you just take your sales receipt to the registry office and buy your plates.
It really is that simple.

If they need to they will search to see if your numbers match any reported stolen cars.
Where do you think old cars get their registration certificates from if they have not been driven or the paperwork has been lost?
Here they will accept almost anything with a signature as a bill of sale.

Where I live (Alberta) you just take your sales receipt to the registry office and buy your plates.
It really is that simple.

If they need to they will search to see if your numbers match any reported stolen cars.
Where do you think old cars get their registration certificates from if they have not been driven or the paperwork has been lost?
Here they will accept almost anything with a signature as a bill of sale.

I had almost the same problem. You have to go to the DMV, get them to track down the last owners that had it registered, get them to file for a new title and then sign it over to you. I had only one previous owner that did not sign it, so I had to go back to the person who had it before him. Or, this will probably not happen but the other owners could register it and sign it over. I would say talk to the DMV and find the last person that had it tagged. KEEP your bill of sale so in case there is a problem with the vehicle being stolen, or there is some type of arguement, you have proof that you gave someone money for the car.

Also follow Roy S's ideal below.

First things first.

You are stupid for buying a car without the title being handed to you or at least knowing who has it. You also can now get in trouble because your car can be considered as stolen.

Oh wait, that's all. Oh yeah and you're kinda screwed. Unless you got it from a dealership... you can try the better business bureau in that case.

it just depends on the state u live in but i think if you have had it in your possesion for 90 days you can go to the sheriffs office and apply for a salvage tittle.

Back