Christian theology on Satan?

SeekingTruth1

Dec 1, 2009
This question is open to anyone who wishes to engage in this discussion but there are a few things that are assumed to be true and all answers that ignore these assumptions will be ignored.
Assumption 1: The Bible is strictly true
Assumption 2: The (overall) Christian view of God is correct and He is real
This is not a question of faith, this is a discussion. If you don't believe in God or don't believe the Bible then that's fine but pretend for this question.
Thanks.

So I have been thinking:
God knows everything,
therefore He knows the future,
therefore He would have to know that Satan would be Satan
therefore God introduced evil to the world which seems contrary to what Christianity views God's attributes as.

This means that there are 3 possible outcomes that I can think of.
1. We are wrong about God's attributes.
2. God does not (or chooses not to) know everything.
3. Satan was specifically created the way he was for a specific reason.

Since 1 + 2 breach our basic assumptions of this question then he (Satan) must have specifically created the way he is (evil) by God.

The question then becomes "Why?". Why would God create evil in the world? The answer that comes to my mind is that without the creation of such an entity free will could not have been truly achieved.

My question is thus 3 fold:
1: Are there other reasons (that do not breach the basic assumptions of this question) that Satan would have been created.
2: Under what other circumstances (if any) could free will have been achieved without the creation of Satan?
3: Does free will (including soft determinism) exist (why?)

Thank you for your thoughts and feel free to use scripture and to explain how you came to your conclusions (personal testimonies are probably not going to be very effective and I would encourage you you use more explicit (direct) methods to answer this question).

Thank You

1: No
2: None
3: No. Because sin has infected the human race and the sin nature keeps us from having the capacity to possess free will in the truest sense of the term. It is only when one accepts Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior that the Holy Spirit then resides in the believer giving him the capacity to make Godly decisions. This condition gives the believer the capacity to excercise free will in the truest sense of the term because he now possesses two natures and can freely choose to satisfy either one.

God has brilliantly arranged that the only ones who will populate heaven will be those who long to be with Him. No one will ever be there against their will again as Lucifer and one third of the angels once were. I think God's plan is to settle it once and for all ... and it's absolutely brilliant. The terrible thing is, those who oppose God do so because they accuse Him of being unloving and unmerciful since bad things happen to us. They describe a world that they feel would exist if there were a loving, and merciful God - and what they describe is HEAVEN!!!! God is in the process of creating the very world they long for!!! If they would only trust that He knows what He's doing, obey Him and be patient they would inherit the very world they long for. Our present world is simply God's way of making sure that only those who want to live with Him will be there and no one will be there against their will!

I love the way you offered this question! I am a firm believer that the Bible is without a doubt the innerrant, infallible, inspired Word of God. I stake my life upon it.

<)))><

God did not create Satan as evil, He created him as one of the angels, who exercised his free will to rebel against God. God knew that this will happen but permitted it because He has a plan for humanity in which Satan has a role to play. It would have been an easy thing for God to take the life of Satan, otherwise, since all life come from Him alone.

I think you got it the other way around regarding free will and evil. Evil is not necessary prerequisite for free will to exist since this is a gift of God to both angels and man. But free will open the possibility for evil since you may choose not to submit this will to the absolute will of God.

Satan is man's evil pride through unrepentant sin.

God exists outside of physical time and is Omni-Present to physical time. God can, and does, observe the whole of physical time while alowing, more like making sure that, free will does exist. Free will is nessessary for love for God to be accomplished. Love for God is man's purpose in life and God's purpose in creation.

God cannot end Satan, which is man's evil human pride, without ending free will.

God brought creation of the universe into existence from His focus point of love for God capable free willed man. Love by its very nature, must be freely given from one being to another. God, with all His imense Power, cannot force love for God into existence. Love must be grown in the garden of free will. One cannot choose to love without the option to choose not to love. Thus free will. Scripture tells us that love for God is obedience to God. God allows free willed choices of hatred, sin and damnation to make human free willed gifts of love for God possible. Satan, man's evil pride in chooseing sin, cannot be eliminated without eliminating man's free will. When free will is eliminated then love for God can no longer be accomplished.

One cannot choose to disobey, sin or hate God or hate or choose not to love fellow saint in any way in heaven. Therefore love for God, which one has to have the option to choose not to love to attain, cannot be acomplished in heaven. The Kingdom of God, which is love for God, is produced under free will on earth. When free will is ended that caps the Kingdom of God which is love for God for all eterninty. Love for God, which is the Kingdom of God, can no longer be added to or subtracted from for all eternity when free will is ended. To end Satan, which is man's evil pride through sin on earth, free will has to end.

Satan, man's evil pride on earth, can and will be contained at the future battle of Armageddon in the era of the Apocalypse.

Please visit: Combat Angel
http://apocalypseangel.com/ironrod.html

NIV 1JO 5:3

This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.

NIV JOH 14:15

"If you love me, you will obey what I command."

NAB JOH 15:22
"If I had not come to them and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; now, however, their sin cannot be excused. To hate me is to hate my Father. Had I not performed such works among them as no one has ever done before, they would not be guilty of sin; but as it is, they have seen, and they go on hating me and my Father."

NAB DEU 30:15 The Choice before Israel.
"Here then, I have today set before you life and prosperity, death and doom. If you obey the commandments of the LORD, your God, which I enjoin on you today, loving him, and walking in his ways, and keeping his commandments, statutes and decrees, you will live and grow numerous, and the LORD, your God, will bless you in the land you are entering to occupy."

NAB SIR 15:11 Man's Free Will.
Say not: "It was God's doing that I fell away"; for what he hates he does not do. Say not: "It was he who set me astray"; for he has no need of wicked man. Abominable wickedness the LORD hates, he does not let it befall those who fear him. When God, in the beginning, created man, he made him subject to his own free choice. If you choose you can keep the commandments; it is loyalty to do his will. There are set before you fire and water; to whichever you choose, stretch forth your hand. Before man are life and death, whichever he chooses shall be given him.

From a Christian who has/does study:

-Your first listing of assumptions:
1: No the bible is not 100% absolute. There are points in the bible where it contradicts itself.
2: I only base my belief that God is real by the evidence I have of his existence in the physical and spiritual realm.

Second Set:
Yes, God allowed evil. In the old testament it specifically says in multiple places "God allowed evil to occur on __________" And as the creator of all things, he created the result that occurs in his lack of protection...the lack of protection comes from your behavior.
1: We have been taught God's attributes through the bible and people do not study them because they are nearly all in the old testament...most people are only interested in the love stuff from Jesus in the new testament...that's harsh, but it is true.
2: God is the only one who knows all...it is written and demonstrated.
3: If God is in control we do not have free will in the sense of escaping our purpose... Satan was created as an angel of light...he did not fulfill his purpose so he was moved to shoel...or hell in modern language. God put him there for a reason...

You can use this information to answer your 3 questions.

My answers are:
1) no.
2) If Satan was not created I still feel there would be a "hell". I do not think Satan plays a part in free will.
3) Soft determinism, yes. Like I can say: we are all on the bus to go to Los Angeles, but what bus you take and how many stops you make on the way is up to you...some ways you get there fast, some ways you get to see scenery...we are a part of his will...I feel it is up to us to determine how effective and efficient we are to be in order to move on. The more we can do, the greater our reward may be...

nice dialogue.

No time to read any of that nonsense..

Satan is our True Creator God!

He stands for freedom from tyranny!

Although he and his Demons have been mislabeled for personal agendas such as spiritual enslavement, they are the true Gods!

www.joyofsatan.org

God created satan for us (yes that sounds odd)
but the truth is he wanted us to make our own desicisions,(thats why he created the tree of life)
so WE can choose if WE want to be with god or with satan

consider that there is more than one 'satan' depends on the time and place, in the bible the word does not always refer to the same 'guy' so to speak. read Marcus Borg for a start.

a 4th outcome could be that god likes misery and watching suffering and that is why he allows the devil to commit evil

Back